NVR - question types!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stocky

NVR - question types!

Post by Stocky »

Hiya - I know I have read it on here that the Lincs test will have 4 out of 5 possible test areas. The problem I've got is that I seem to have identified 6 possible areas (apologies for the terminology):
- sequence (what comes next)
- codes
- odd one out
- which square completes the bigger square
- pairs of shapes (i.e. you are given a pair of shapes and then one on its own and you have to decide which shape completes the pair)
- pick a shape (i.e. which shape out of the 5 goes with the 2 shapes on the left etc)
Can someone please clarify which 5 form the shortlist for Lincs?! Thanks!
loo1965

Re: NVR - question types!

Post by loo1965 »

I agree - in the new papers (pack 2) there are 6 sections but we have been told only 4 will appear out of 5 so which one should not be included in the 5??

Alex hopefully will be able to advise :D
Loo
Alex

Post by Alex »

Sorry, the confusion is entirely my fault. I have put the "most unlike" and the "most like" as one type when they should be two. In the NfER/Letts practice pack 1 these types appear as alternatives, ie they do not come up in the same paper together, whereas the other question types all appear in every paper. As far as I am aware these 2 have not come up together in the real thing either - BUT if anyone knows different please let us know as I don't have full information from every year.

So the types should be (my terminology not the correct terms!)

1. Complete the Pair (Section 1 in all the pack 1 NfER papers)

2. Codes (Section 2 in Papers 11B, 11C and 11D and Section 4 in 11A, pack 1)

3. Fill in the empty square in a Sequence (Section 3 in all pack 1 papers)

4. Most Unlike in a series of 5 (Section 4 in 11C and 11D, pack 1)

5. Most Like the two on the left (Section 5 in 11A and Section 4 in 11B, pack 1)

6. Complete the empty box in a 2x2 or 3x3 Matrix (Section 5 in 11B, 11C and 11D and Section 2 in 11A, pack 1)

I hope this clarifies things for everyone.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

So are you saying that 2 types will be omitted in the real test out of the ones you have listed - I think I'm getting myself so confused now :shock:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Assuming this year follows the same pattern as the previous years there will be 4 sections each having 16/17 questions, each section being made up of one type of question - so yes, 4 out of the 6 types will appear.
emmgemuk

Post by emmgemuk »

I heard that an extra NVR question type was added last year, one which no-body had been able to practise, this has come from several people who were both tutored at home and by tutors. Have you all heard this too?
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

Nope - now I am worried!! :(
Alex

Post by Alex »

I have not heard this. I know a couple of people who did see the paper (after the event!) and neither mentioned this.

Sometimes misleading assumptions are made about what might or might not come up. For example code questions did not appear in the first two years of NVR testing so many of us thought they might never come up - they did, the next year!

I am not aware that any question types which do not appear in the NfER Nelson/Letts practice papers have yet appeared. If you know different for sure, please let us all know and tell us what type of question it was.

loo - don't worry too much - if a question type comes up which no-one has ever seen or practised before then everyone is in the same boat.