SATs and spellings

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pabrighton0

SATs and spellings

Post by pabrighton0 »

Does anyone know if SATs at Y6 have a creative writing part and generally how much weight is given to correct spelling in Y6 SATs?

For example, if the child makes spelling mistakes in more difficult words like brilliant and hammered?

And what about mistakes in homophones like their, they're, there? I tend to have low tolerance for these in general...
yoyo123

Re: SATs and spellings

Post by yoyo123 »

have a look at the mark schemes for past papers, that will give you some idea of how they are marked

http://www.st-josephs-pickering.n-yorks ... papers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

In the past, spelling is tested as a separate element than the creative writing part, although general spellings of common words should be fairly consistent.
However, in 2012 there will not be an externally marked writing test in the SATS.
Starmum x
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

starmum2000 wrote:In the past, spelling is tested as a separate element than the creative writing part, although general spellings of common words should be fairly consistent.
However, in 2012 there will not be an externally marked writing test in the SATS.
Starmum x
Thanks, I had heard the part about marking of the writing test.

So do you mean that spellings in the writing task were not considered last year but this year they may since it depends on the teacher?
Last edited by pabrighton0 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

No, they will refer to the descriptions of each level and grade the piece accordingly. it is not up to the individual whim of the teacher. Try googling Level descriptors KS2 English and you will find more information.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

pabrighton0 wrote:Does anyone know if SATs at Y6 have a creative writing part and generally how much weight is given to correct spelling in Y6 SATs?

For example, if the child makes spelling mistakes in more difficult words like brilliant and hammered?

And what about mistakes in homophones like their, they're, there? I tend to have low tolerance for these in general...
Agree with Yo-yo, there are level descriptors that teachers will use.

However I would say that the examples you have given are not ambitious spellings and should be established well before Y6, as should the homophones. A child will not be disadvantaged by misspelling genuinely ambitious words or words that do not follow spelling patterns that have been taught during primary school, so for example a child would not be penalised for spelling benign and avalanche incorrectly, but of course it does depend on which level you are looking at. I'm thinking level 4.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now