3 Weeks into term, how are the new schools going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kaloosam

3 Weeks into term, how are the new schools going?

Post by kaloosam »

Hi everyone,

Throughout last year we lived and breathed in each other's virtual company and now it's all gone quiet. What's going on? How are your children settling in their new schools?

Well my DS for one has settled fantastically. You may remember we appealed for another school because I just felt it was more appropriate (and smaller!) well... How wrong was I! DS is so very happy, loving every minute of his new school and has even befriended the son of 'Monstermum'. The size of the school is not an issue at all and it is such a pleasure to have a happy son!

I'd love to hear from the rest of you fellow sufferers, so please get posting.

X
scarlett

Re: 3 Weeks into term, how are the new schools going?

Post by scarlett »

I'm glad your son is enjoying secondary, Kaloosam...mine is too and I'm so pleased with the school. DS likes all his teachers but is displaying a healthy respect for them and judging by his planner checking and eagerness to complete homework I'd say they have instilled a good sense of discipline into the boys too.

The only downside is the amount of money he's spending in the canteen and whilst waiting for the bus. :roll:
kaloosam

Post by kaloosam »

It is exactly the same here, the only thing preventing the onset of obesity is the huge walk to and from the train station!!

I agree, the school is doing a marvellous job and I couldn't be more impressed. I hope everyone else is finding their first few weeks equally as positive.

X
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Whenever I ask about my son's school day, the answer is always 'good', so I think all is well. Homework hasn't been too heavy yet - I'm sure it will increase soon. My DS has settled well into doing it most nights. He hasn't joined any clubs yet, but keeps talking about them. The travelling is going well also, and he confidently catches the train or bus home. He's not made a 'best friend' yet, but seems to go around in a large group of friends. DS also likes having some money and being able to buy food from the school cafe or shops in town.

Overall, apart from tiredness at times, all seems to be going well at the moment.

(Hopefully he isn't hiding anything from us!)
dottie1974

Post by dottie1974 »

DD is loving her new school too. She had a wobbly day on Friday when it hit her just how 'smart' some of the other year 7's are, but I think that was just a combination of having just sat a maths test and exhaustion from the first two weeks. She hasn't got a best friend yet either but does belong to a group of friends.

She is loving the mix of teachers and changing rooms each lesson.

So far, so good. It was definitely the right choice of school for her.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son also commented about how clever other boys were also. I think it intimidated him a little, and it dawned on him where he was.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm pleased DS is confident on the bus too PC..it's funny that I was worried about him getting squashed/lost etc and he's trotting around the shopping centre as if he's done it all his life.The amount of time he spends in Sainsburys , I'm thinking he could do the weekly shop for me.

By the way, your son is clever too , PC ! Probably just isn't one of those horrid types who brag about it.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

pheasantchick wrote:My son also commented about how clever other boys were also. I think it intimidated him a little, and it dawned on him where he was.
He'll be in good company PC. The majority of the kids will be used to being top of the heap at Primary and even though they understood they were going into a more competitive environment, the reality still seems to come as a shock. :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

While I knew my girl would get on fine I was still very anxious how she would get on and how I would survive without her but so far so good. She has settled in very well and just seems like she has been there for years. Its a small school with fewer girls than boys so she knows almost all the girls in her school now.

She was home on her first exit last weekend and she really is loving her school and she says the best things is her "friends" and food. I was at her school yesterday for some match games and I was more interested in watching how she was getting on with everyone else and she just seem to know everybody now. Her days are pretty busy and full on at school but she is coping just fine. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Great hearing all your kids are getting on fine. I still can't believe this time last year it was us going mental waiting for 11+ results. Time flies.
Impossible is Nothing.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My son came home an said that rugby wasn't as bad as he thought. He actually seems to be enjoying it!