Failed Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Doobie

11 plus appeal failure

Post by Doobie »

Hi had my appeal on weds - we moved house 2 days after the second exam, my son has apsergers and we had all ed back up from school and his consultant - why did I fail? I am distraught.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

Dear Doobie

So sorry to hear your news.
It must have been a very difficult time for you.
Are your alternatives good/OK?
Have you spoken to your consultant? I haven't got any practical help that I can offer but I will pray for strength for you to deal with this.

Take care.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Doobie,

I am so, so sorry to hear your news. The decision letter should have given the grounds on which the decision was made, and given them in clear, readily understandable terms.

If you are in any doubt that the appeal was conducted in the proper manner, then it might be worthwhile seeking advice about whether to take your case to the Local Government Ombudsman. The ombudsman can only investigate complaints about issues like failing to follow correct procedures, or to act independently or fairly; he cannot look at the decision itself. You might, however, have grounds for complaint if your son's disability was not given consideration by the appeal panel, despite the evidence you had submitted.

If you asked for special arrangements before the exam because of your son's disability and these were not given, you might have grounds for complaint against the admission authority for the school.

If you would care to register and send me a PM I would be happy to go into it all more thoroughly with you.

Etienne may be able to offer you further advice. It would be better to post on the Appeals section to reach her and anyone else who may have relevant experience.
Doobie

Post by Doobie »

Hi there - thank you for your reply...just had the appeal panel clerk on the phone she has advised me that I should not go down the ombudsman route as she felt the case was heard fairly - she has however, phoned lincs ed authority to ask them to help me find a suitable place for my son elsewhere as she felt the school I had been offered was not suitable for my son. I did go to the Grammar concerned and explained to them about his disabilities and they said they make no special dispensation for any kind of disability at all and wrongly noted down that he had dyslexia - he does in fact suffer from Dyspraxia, ADD and Aspergers Syndrome. My headmaster has told me to take it to the top - I want to, but cant take the heartache, I havent even told my son - I cant....
Doobie

Post by Doobie »

Laid back son worried mum wrote:Dear Doobie

So sorry to hear your news.
It must have been a very difficult time for you.
Are your alternatives good/OK?
Have you spoken to your consultant? I haven't got any practical help that I can offer but I will pray for strength for you to deal with this.

Take care.
Thank you so much - such kind words, my alternative is really bad!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Doobie,

Please register and PM me. I know things are really raw and painful at the moment but there are avenues to explore and I can help to point you in the right direction.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Doobie,

No school can ignore the DDA - in Bucks children get extra time for the 11+ for similar SEN.

You should take this further - as a former SENCO at a Grammar school I know pupils with similar needs can thrive and do very well ...

Hoping you will get the advice you need ...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Doobie

I have sent you a PM.
Etienne
Doobie

Round Two - Appeals

Post by Doobie »

Well we are now into round 2 - we have visited another GS in lincolnshire and WOW what a difference a few miles make...we have another appeal arranged by the GS concerned in 24 hours!! They would have made allowances for my son's disabilities and have been brilliant with a school visit at very short notice. So with the help of Alex and everyone else who has replied to my distraught postings ( oh dear sorry ), we are now feeling much more positive, however, we will be going to the ombudsman regarding our first appeal - it all seemed very unfair. Keep your fingers/toes crossed for us, appeal on the 22nd May - at least I know what to expect!! To everyone else going through this for the first time - take everything you can regarding academic ability - keep talking I did not and kicked myself afterwards. Good luck.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Doobie,

Good luck - I do hope you get the right school for your child ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now