Voluntary Payments

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smith

Voluntary Payments

Post by smith »

I've heard QE boys ask for a voluntary contribution? (hint hint compulsary)

Does anyone know if this is true? If yes how much is it? Is this the same for Mill Hill County?
hermanmunster

Re: Voluntary Payments

Post by hermanmunster »

many schools around the country ask for voluntary contributions of varying amounts and hope that most parents will pay. TBH they are voluntary so if you can't afford it or don't want to pay you don't have to. Some are small eg Ermysted's @ £15 a year and other are serevral hundred pounds a year

edit: just done a search .. QE is asking for £60 a month
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... tributions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tiffin about £520/year

moral of the story - move to Yorkshire
zorro

Post by zorro »

That's a bargain compared to the £18,00 a year we pay for DS!
You get a good return on your investment too, as DS's virtually guaranteed to get amazing exam results.
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

hi
Which school actually has a lovely swimming pool?(building one is one cost but maintaining it too is another!)Apart from that, all the facilities that QE provides? With just £60 per month? Not only that, The best staff who look at your children as an individuals but not a grade making factory. All the children who started off with this policy got nothing but we enjoying their investments so why not give in too! It is really money well spent.. if you look at the details of their budgets.. it is going strengh to strength with this money .. you will see in the coming years, the head teacher has superb plans.. having no state school to compete with, he still has upped his standards!
BTW, there are parents who can afford but still won't pay!
Cinderella
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

cindrella wrote:hi
Which school actually has a lovely swimming pool?(building one is one cost but maintaining it too is another!)Apart from that, all the facilities that QE provides? With just £60 per month? Not only that, The best staff who look at your children as an individuals but not a grade making factory. All the children who started off with this policy got nothing but we enjoying their investments so why not give in too! It is really money well spent.. if you look at the details of their budgets.. it is going strengh to strength with this money .. you will see in the coming years, the head teacher has superb plans.. having no state school to compete with, he still has upped his standards!
BTW, there are parents who can afford but still won't pay!
I am sure that there are plenty of parents that can afford to pay but don't - probably because they are financing the education system via their significant income tax payments.
At DS's school (£15/ year) they do not lack facilities, the excellent staff are paid by the school out of the budget, essential equipment is provided and the parents' association, who raise money via events (about 11k last year) buy other extras.
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

You are right Hermummunster when you say why pay more when we are already paying our taxes, especially now when many people have no job and those who do have, have tremendous pressure to keep theirs! Despite that the cutbacks in budgets across many sectors including education ..not to forget the rate at which inflation is rising! I personally feel it is too much money ,£60, a month when I think of people who don't pay any fees at all! But on the other hand then when I think of the kind of fees Independant schools ask per year I feel it is justified! Probably looking at the half full glass rather than the half empty aspect. It is very debatable issue.
Cinderella
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

I think only a small handful of parents havent contributed at QE (10-15)

From an intake of 180 boys that very good

Ritz667
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't think anyone should feel they have to subsidise a school. Some of these amounts are truly shocking :shock:
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

For the quality of education and range of experience and enrichment which QE provides I feel 60 pm is fantastic value, and the contribution is not compulsory anyway.

I personally know of parents who are actually paying in more than the "standard" which is indeed very generous of them.

All the funds are put to use very diligently in facilities like swimming pool, library, dining halls and so on.

Think QE becoming an Academy is good since it can plan for the boys benefit much better now.

In my opinion its a much more successful model than other places (Inds.) we rejected which charge (compulsory) amounts ranging from 5K to 15K (depending upon %age scholarship/bursary).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

swimming pool, library, dining halls and so on.
Sorry don't many schools have these ... ?

We all pay already through our taxes ... no-one should have to give anything extra.