Story books for KS1 (History)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Story books for KS1 (History)

Post by DIY Mum »

Could anyone recommend any (picture) story books that their children have enjoyed listening to and relates to (KS1) History?

From memory my dc enjoyed R. Briggs'
UG and also T. Deary's the Captive Celt but dd2 was emotional after 'the Little Match Girl' so I think I'll pass on that for now. :?

Any other suggestions?
pheasantchick

Re: Story books for KS1 (History)

Post by pheasantchick »

'Katie in London' by James Mayhew is good. It's not strictly a history book, but tells the tale of Katie visiting the sites in London.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Thanks, Pheasantchick, that's a lovely book! Will add to my collection.
um

Post by um »

There's a biggish book called "What your Year 1 child needs to know" by Hirsch and Annaliese Briggs.

AS the title suggests, it covers all curriculum areas but I've read a few historical/legendary stories from there to dc4, and he loved them, despite the lack of pictures.
rachag

Post by rachag »

There is a book called something like Brittanica which is stories from British history retold. From memory, it is ks1 level. My dc enjoyed being read these stories.
Also, on the history theme, they loved the Usborne book of Greek myths too.
rachag

Post by rachag »

Sorry, that was a hopeless reply as sooooo much stuff with Britannica, and wrong anyway - have checked amazon. It is called Britannia 100 great stories from British history. I really love the story of Eyam the plague village.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now