am i missing something really obvious ??

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bitworried

am i missing something really obvious ??

Post by bitworried »

firstly thank you all very much in advance for all the great help in this forum :D
am a bit stuck, so any help ,ideas gratefully received
i have been tutoring dd at home for sw consortium exam. i was thinking of letting dd settle into year 6 and keeping her going on tutors 15min papers level 3. however oh has pointed out that this may not keep her "match fit"
He wants her to be doing about 4 or 5 vr papers per week... (think there are about 8 weeks to go )
we have 6 athey papers left and will order gl assessments (4?) but not sure what to do after these have finished. she has completed off top of my head
ips books
afn book 1 ( is it worth doing others ?)
bright sparks ( could only find 1 in standard)
learning lab intro 12
walsh 123 ( read somewhere 4 is a bit weird?)
susan daughtrey books 123

so not sure what to move onto after these ??? feel i am forgetting something. apologies for typing other sick dd lying on me! many thanks
bitworried

Re: am i missing something really obvious ??

Post by bitworried »

anyone please, feeling really on my own here. Everyone else in the class seems to have a tutor, but oh thinks i can do it on my own, but i cant...please help
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Oh I feel really bad now .You sound really desperate and I hope someone will come along who knows more about your area . Perhaps it can be moved to that part of the forum ? I live in Kent, so not sure which area you mean or which are the best papers.It sounds as if you have covered lots.How is your daughter scoring ? Does she seem to be doing well ?

Come on everyone, let's help this lady out !
Everythingcrossed

Post by Everythingcrossed »

You are not alone!
I am in Bucks so dont know what sort of papers you need in your area - have you posted in your regional bit of the forum too, might get more specific tips?
We are into final week here (stress levels high!) so are doing short tests - there is a new IPS book of 10 ques tests - plus going over vocab cards and sections from previous papers of types my DD finds hardest.
Good luck!

EC
bitworried

Post by bitworried »

thank you v much for your kind words. sorry to get overemotional, just really tired after long day at work and kids being sick this week

we are in sw hertfordshire. she is doing really well on the tests which is why i kind of feel under more pressure in a strange way?? she is bright without me boasting, level 5s at end of year 4. i just kind of feel completely out of my depth as i dont want to let her down. i just feel completely on my own with no one to turn to, as oh expects me to do it all and all the other children in her class seem to have a tutor. i keep reading and searching the forum but am just a bit mixed up with it all

i just dont want to let her down. sorry will get things in proportion now, deep breath. thanks for reading :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Ah ha - SW Herts. I will whisk you over there so you get more traffic and relevant answers. (Don't worry - you won't feel a thing. :D )

Sounds like OH might be overdoing it - 4/5 papers a week is a huge amount. A couple would be plenty.
bitworried

Post by bitworried »

thank you sorry think cross posted. i didnt post in hertfordshire as i thought people might get fed up if i posted twice
thank you. sorry gotta go
bitworried

Post by bitworried »

thank you v much sally anne. starting to feel better already. its nice to know am not alone .sorry really must go but thank you all ever so much
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Have you tried the Bond papers or books? I didn't see them up on your list. The books (and 10 minute tests) can be handy to pick out a few sets of similar questions that your child finds more difficult.

I think 4/5 papers a week is quite a lot. We went through the SW herts tests a few years ago (and will do so again next year) and we just did a few selected questions during the week and one set of VR and Maths papers at the weekend.

We tried to mix the tests up a bit so two GL papers one week (ie Maths and VR), Athey the next, Bond a week later. This was to avoid familiarity with any one particular type of test. Both tests were done together with a short break between them to try to mimic the "real" thing.

Alison
new2me

Post by new2me »

My DS sat exam last year. At this stage he did 2 full papers a week, 1 VR and 1 maths, plus a 10 minute paper on week nights, 3X VR which I prepared, 2X Maths using Bond. I made up sets of 20 questions for him for VR, focussing on the question types of most benefit to him. I pulled out relevant question types from Walsh, Athey, Bond, anything I could find, not wanting to waste weeknights on questions he could do with his eyes shut and hanging upside down. For my DS, it was mainly trying to cover words he may not have come across, not especially hard words. I seem to remember it was fairly simple words that he struggled with, words not commonly used now. For example, he didn't know what a thimble was, or mutton, what girth was etc.

The SW exams aren't difficult so accuracy is a must, especially in the case of my DS who raced through simple questions and made silly mistakes while getting the harder questions right. I had to bribe him to check his answers. He always scored in the low 90's for both maths and VR, never getting full marks for anything, promising me that of course he would take more care in the real exam.