Will the results envelope be addressed to the child?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jetster

Will the results envelope be addressed to the child?

Post by Jetster »

DS has asked if he can open the envelope when it arrives, of course we've said yes but want to know if it will be obvious what it is if the envelope isn't addressed to him?
hermanmunster

Re: Will the results envelope be addressed to the child?

Post by hermanmunster »

have you signed up for e-mail - as that will come to your address... otherwise envelopes are addressed usually to "the parent / guardian of Mstr Jetster"

Re the kid opening it themselves...... well have a think, I'll find one of our previous threads and the thoughts on this.

edit: yer tis... http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 51&t=11422" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

I have no idea if I have signed up for email :wink: If I have will the email come on the date the results are posted or the day after if that makes sense

Loo :D
millie33

Post by millie33 »

If it's the test results - then yes they are posted. As stated above they are addressed to parent of x - my ds got to the post first as arrived at weekend, so he opened it anyway. The envelope was clearly marked with the school's name - not sure what happens if taken at a primary school.

The allocations for school places are sent via e-mail if you apply on-line in October. If you apply by post they are sent by snail mail.

Millie :D
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

I had a read through that previous thread, thank you for the link :) .

Trouble is that the envelope will arrive on the Saturday and my DS has already stated that he wants to collect the mail after the postman has been, so I don't think I'll get the opportunity to do a 'Blue Peter'.

I really don't think I'll react badly if he reads it out and he hasn't passed, I'll be prepared for that but secretly hoping it's good news.

The 15th can't come quick enough!!
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

He's already asked me what I would say if the letter says he hasn't passed and I told him that I know he had done his best and that if his best wasn't good enough for the Grammar school then it wasn't meant to be.

I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason, I told him that if he has to go to the local comp then he was meant to go there and we won't know that reason yet but it may well become clear in the years ahead.
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

My DS also is claiming opening rights!!! I'm ok with him opening( I think)
I also wish it was the 15th - it seems like such a long way away
:|
callyj20

Post by callyj20 »

Hi, haven't been on since my DS1 took the 11+ 2 years ago and failed by 2 points. Not sure what went wrong but after an unsuccesful appeal he got a place at the local comp. On results day we were expecting a pass as DS was top of his class in through primary, Gifted and Talented level 5 sats etc etc. He opened the envelope himself and what followed will never leave me as long as I live. Let's just say he was gutted beyond anything I have ever seen. It took us 2 hours to console him and stop the sobbing and a good 6 months to recover his confidence. His first day at secondary was tinged with 'what could have been!' and I have to say, I worried myself sick to the point of ringing his head of year to make sure he wasn't going to be at a disadvantage. I could not have been more wrong. DS1 is now top of his year and full of confidence. He is now at Level 7C for Maths and 6a for Science, Technology and 3 other subjects. He represents the school for cricket, rugby and football and attends various other out of school clubs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if they do not succeed in passing this exam, it really is not the end of the world. I got fed up of people saying to me "he's a bright kid, he'll do well anywhere!" but it turns out that actually, they were right. If you want my advice though, open the envelope first and have a distraction ready should the results not be what you had hoped for :cry: .

My DS2 has just sat the exam and we wait with baited breath...this time we will be ready...just incase! :|

Good luck everyone
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Great advice Callyj both on opening the envelope itself and on how alternatives can work equally as well. Very good luck with DS2. :)
My DS had wanted to open the envelope himself, but his little sister, 4, ripped open all of the post that morning and because it was a day earlier than we expected it nearly got binned with the mass of envelopes. I just caught sight of the school crest and glanced at it and after seeing a few key words I was happy to hand it to DS who was the third in the family to see it! :lol:
loo1965

Post by loo1965 »

I understand the implications if the results are not good but no distraction would ever take away his disappointment - so I guess we would just have to work through it :(
Callyj20 - I'm so pleased your DS has achieved so much despite his initial disappointment. Our local comp is pretty grim less than 18% of children achieve GCSE A-C- therefore definitely not an option for us.
I just hope it is good news for us - good luck to your DS2 :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now