Do/Did any of your DC work part-time during AS's or A2's?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nigs

Do/Did any of your DC work part-time during AS's or A2's?

Post by nigs »

How did it go? Worthwhile or obstructive?
hermanmunster

Re: Do/Did any of your DC work part-time during AS's or A2's

Post by hermanmunster »

I know of some working during sixth form but TBH glad my DS isn't as he is doing 4 A2 and an EPQ... plus extra reading. can't see when he would fit in working.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Both mine did, I don;t think it had a detrimental affect.

Daughter worked Sundays and some Saturdays.

son worked in evenings 3 days a week ( Tues, Friday and Saturday) and some other days. Later worked weekends in a bar/restaurant.

It gave them confidence and a bit of independence, certainly didn't stop my daughter studying and son probably wouldn't have studied any more than he was doing!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Depends on the job, but yes, definitely worthwhile imo as it can offer a welcome change from studying, let DCs earn a bit of cash so they don't have to rely so much on Bank of M&D, and develop responsibility. Useful experience in the future for getting holiday jobs (where the course permits) and/or internships. What's more, DD said yesterday that her music teaching work has made her feel a lot more confident generally, which can only be a good thing. :D
Marylou
sp

Post by sp »

DS helps at the local tennis club on Saturday motnings and I think this is enough with the extra work for his A levels. He picked up extra hours during the holidays and sometimes does a bit of dog walking etc for a few pounds. He needs time to let of steam playing tennis, etc so I don't anticipate him doing any more paid work. That said I do know others who do (possibly through necessity) and it seems to work.

At the end of the day it will always depend on the child, how quickly and thoroughly they get on with their work, and whether they still have enough down time and sleep time
to function properly.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

DS1 got a job before leaving year 11 and stayed with it right up until a few days after his A level results were out, so about 2 and a half years. His grades were higher than predicted, based on his last monitoring results but far lower than predcited from GCSE. The reason for this wasn't the job he had, it was the GF......!

If he hadn't been working he would have been at his GF's side so imo at least he gained some work experience and earned money, they expected him to go full time once he finished his studies. No idea why they thought he would want to work in a sports retailers when he had the opportunity of both Uni and an Accounting Apprenticship to chose from :?
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
loulou

Post by loulou »

My son works two evenings a week and does extra curricular (as well as having the obligatory sixth form social life). He coped very well and managed to secure 4 As at AS level, although I was concerned at times that he didn't seem to have enough study time. He certainly had to focus and drop some extra curricular activitied and curb his social life in the last few weeks before the exams but he continued to with his evening work through. He has used this as an example of time management skills on his personal statement so it has been worthwhile. I think :? . I think it probably does depend upon your child, the subjects they are taking and the way in which they prefer to learn. My son is definitely a last minute boy which drives me nuts although I have learnt to bite my tongue over the years. Unfortunately its made doubly worse by the fact he is exactly like me!

loulou
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

My DS works every other Saturday and on other days when work is short. It is just enough to give him a break and also keep him in touch with reality. I think he gets a lot from it. He is studying 4 A Levels and an EPQ. His time management is very good - I think that is the key, here.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now