Timing, watches, knowing when to guess

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Turtlegirl

Timing, watches, knowing when to guess

Post by Turtlegirl »

Hi all. I've been wondering what the wisdom is on exam format and keeping time for the Birmingham King Edward Foundation.

I understand that it's done on a cd in sections. Do the children receive any warning when the time is about to be up? Do children generally take digital watches with stopwatches in with them? How do you make sure that they guess at least something for multiple choice sections if they're running out of time?
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Timing, watches, knowing when to guess

Post by DIY Mum »

I think they're just told when it starts and how long they've got for that section i.e. 8 mins for the synonmys.

Initially a digital watch seemed a good idea but ds2 would get so distracted by it :roll: that we opted for an analogue one instead.

For timings, they just need to have a rough idea how long to spend on each section. So for vr (synonmys) about 4 secs per word if they know it and if they don't, 7 seconds max.

Similar with the mental maths: roughly 8 seconds for each question. I know over the last couple of years, the exam has become less time pressured but you never know what they may throw at the dc this year.

Get them to check the time half way through whatever section they're at. Also before they start, say they're doing cloze- they should be able to estimate i.e. if it's three pages long and they have 12 mins to complete it, then they should know not to spend more than 4 mins per page.

For Dd, I purchased a ring watch (fantastic price on ebay) which she wore on the day :D . Really handy having the time close at hand and a pretty cool accessory too 8)
matreshka

Post by matreshka »

Hi. My child did not take any watches at all and passed 11+ with ease.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Congratulations to your daughter, Matreshka. Different techniques work for different children.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

Thanks for the tips everyone. I actually bought a digital watch online the other night. But then I showed the pic to my daughter and she's decided she doesn't like it (she's gone off pink) so I've got to find another...

Hopefully having the time clicking away in front of her will help her to keep focussed, especially towards the end. This is her perpetual problem...
matreshka

Post by matreshka »

fatbananas wrote:Congratulations to your daughter, Matreshka. Different techniques work for different children.
It won't help only distract. I belive in it.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Fortunately our son forgot to take his watch with him on the day. If he'd taken it with him he might have got distracted and stared at it for 20-30 mins or something :roll: .
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Biggest distraction for ds2 is observing how others are doing in an exam :roll: He also had tendency to lean casually on his left elbow whilst doing an exam and this really slowed him down. :x

The watch not only helped to speed him up but kept him focussed too!

Interestingly, 3 of my dc who sat the KE exam (and passed) all used watches...so I really don't believe it had a detrimental effect upon them :wink:
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

I think the cd gives a countdown too; with one minute remaining, go back and guess those left unanswered
matreshka

Post by matreshka »

Also i think there will be a wall clock in the exam room. :D :roll: I will ask. :?: