Who's Reading the Results Email

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LtBrick

Who's Reading the Results Email

Post by LtBrick »

We have decided to let DD read the results email first before we look at it. Not sure that this is a good idea now, or that I will be able to resist.

What are your intentions? Read the email and tell DC? Read the email and then let DC read it, so your prepared, but act as it you've not read it? Let them read it first?

If they arrive before hometime, are you going to pretend you haven't received it in the playground?
mitasol

Re: Who's Reading the Results Email

Post by mitasol »

IMO you should know what the result is before giving it to DC and keep schtum in the playground regardless of the outcome!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mitasol wrote:IMO you should know what the result is before giving it to DC and keep schtum in the playground regardless of the outcome!
absolutely agree

Remember it said the small print of the antenatal paperwork that you had to become an expert in character acting, playing p o k e r and general damage limitation.

Unless you are absolutely confident of the outcome and aware of the standing wording of the e-mail (they tend not to flash up the words PASS or FAIL...) you need to have a look and then keep totally schtum until DC opens it themselves.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Absolutely - email going to DH's phone, he will read it first. They came slightly early last year and he was under instructions under no circumstances to tell DD1 in the playground.

Dreading it :(
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It's such a horrible, drawn out day.I feel sick in sympathy for you all. I really wanted my son not to know which day results day was then I could just check the email myself and then say...oh look an emails just come through. However, they all know to the minute when the results are due ! I did check first , had an excited aaahhh with DH in the kitchen and then I told DS to come and open the email , pretending I didn't know. Ds had been so laid back so I was surprised to see he was shaking uncontrollably when he was looking. I just sat there with the tears streaming down my face.I'll never forget that day.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Well, I'm going to check all day long (compulsively no doubt :oops: ) if I get to find out before DD gets home then I shall just let her know once we're home. If e-mail not available until after she's home, then we shall check together. Either way she'll have to know the result so I don't mind her looking with me.
I'm going to do the whole 'it really doesn't matter either way as we'll sort out a nice school no matter what etc speech' beforehand however, if the result is not the one we want I know she'll be devastated which is exactly what's led me to weeks of no sleep & being an emotional wreck today (crying at helicopter heroes this morning :roll: ).
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Have you got a Plan B then FrustratedMum?

We don't really - which is stressing DD2 out, she has been crying at bedtime the last couple of nights.

She is borderline, but just short of the border I think iykwim! :(

I want us to look at the Indie alternative but DH (rightly) says we can't afford it, and our comp options we can't agree on either so naturally DD is very unsettled PLUS she wants to go to Grammar with her sister and best friend :(
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

We don't have a great plan B rubyhettybetty, our local comp is way out of the question DD's dead against going there, mostly my fault as I haven't ever spoken highly of it but with very good reason, so that's not even going on our CAF.
She has taken Kent test as well but again practise results were always up & down, so there is 2 chances I guess.
The next 2 closest comps to us are in Sittingbourne and will be applying for them if all else fails and am quite happy with both but of course we're way out of catchment so we'll have to appeal I suspect no matter what.
Indie's out of the question with us too money-wise, so not an option.
I'm trying not to get too worked up before I even see the results but knowing how she was doing in practise makes that very difficult (very borderline just like you say) and knowing also how much she wants it,as I'm sure many, many do of course.
Like your DD, ours wants to go to the same grammar as her brother primarily and much beyond that she isn't terribly happy, I sincerely hope for their sakes that there is a happy outcome!
Ah well we'll know tomorrow :?
Very best of luck to your DD as well as all others on here awaiting tomorrow's results!!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I think its a BAD idea to let the child read the email first unless you are dead certain they will pass.

Its really hard for little ones and I remember not even telling my DD immediately about the Medway results as she hadn't passed. I waited for the right day and moment to break the news.

Good luck for tomorrow.
Impossible is Nothing.
Brora

Post by Brora »

I remember last year it was a horrible day. I was at work and away from the computer, and did not have email on my phone, so the hours dragged. I picked DD up from school and she was so miserable on the way home, saying she was sure she hadn't passed and that she was going to let us down. I remember trying not to cry, and drive at the same time, and saying over and over it was not a case of letting us down. Her older sister is at Rainham Girls so she would be fine whatever the email said, then she was saying it would be horrible at school if everyone else had passed and she hadn't. Then we got home at about half past three, and we had been told the email would arrive at 4. But my husband had had the day off and been at home and he told us it had already arrived. He said he had not read it and it was up to DD to read it. She didn't want to, and I couldn't, so he did, and it said she had been deemed appropriate for Grammar School, or something like that. Much jumping around and tears (from me anyway). Later I asked husband if he had really not read it - I dont think I could have sat at the computer and not read the email, if only to have been prepared for the result when she heard it. He swears he did not read it and thought he should wait for her. Have to believe him because he is my beloved. But I would have read it. Good luck to you all.