Simon Langton Boys to become Super Selective next year..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

Simon Langton Boys to become Super Selective next year..

Post by katel »

Anyone else heard this rumour?
frustrated

Re: Simon Langton Boys to become Super Selective next year..

Post by frustrated »

No idea. I do know that Canterbury High school, a non-selective is going into partnerhip with them though.
JLT

Post by JLT »

Having been at the open evening last night, I would imagine a lot of the applicants for the school probably have quite high scores anyway. The head made it quite clear that boys would struggle there if they were "coached" to get through Kent Test
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

The head made it quite clear that boys would struggle there if they were "coached" to get through Kent Test
DS1 goes to this school and he says that some of them are really struggling to keep up, and consistantly getting lower than expected grades, but others are doing very well. It is very fast paced and can be pretty full on with both classwork and homework, and almost everyone in his year group has had tutoring. If the school were to become superselective, it would encourage more tutoring as the competition will be even fiercer. The only way to make sure that children come into the school having passed by natural ability, without help/advice with how to answer different question types is to change the Kent Test format/questions every year, but that will never happen. All the time we have grammar schools in existance,we will have tutoring going on. It's no good headteachers telling us children will struggle if they have had coaching, no-one is going to listen knowing that others will do it anyway. When in Rome.......

Anyways, not heard anything about it becoming a superselective but I'm sure we will find out soon enough. Anyone else know anything?
JLT

Post by JLT »

I think it's always hard to define what is coaching to get a child through Kent Test. Some schools spend a lot more time preparing children for the exam, some do nothing. This leaves parents with no choice but to help their children and give them a fighting chance with the exam. :)
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

..............and if the resources are available, then why let them go to waste :)
observer

Post by observer »

I believe the Head was trying to say that if your child is not naturally academic and has only passed the test because of intensive tutoring, then they may struggle at the school....If your child is academically strong and you had them tutored to familiarise them with the test then they should be fine....A bit subjective perhaps....
Now, I can't help worrying because, although I know my DS is naturally strong academically (level 5b maths end of year 5), he didn't have any tutoring except for the practice papers he did with me... maybe I should have had him tutored!? Roll on 17th Oct! :roll:
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

I hadn`t heard this rumour......I know the head teacher as the Girls Langton said the Canterbury grammars prided themselves on being there for the local children and implied that was how it would stay.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

There is now a consultation published on SLBS website, it seems they are planning to tighten up a bit on their admission criteria due to the oversubscription level and the fact that they now only seem to be coming out 5 miles or so when previously it was much further. From 2013 they are proposing that preference be given to boys who live within 9 miles of the school and who have a minimum overall score of 385 in the Kent Test.

Woah, so glad to be finished with all of that secondary school admission stuff now!
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

we got a letter from the SLGGS last week assuring parents they would NOT be following suit and would remain as they are. Bit of a relief since I have one there and want kent test taker for this summer. :shock: