How many places are available at City of London for Girls

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
girish

How many places are available at City of London for Girls

Post by girish »

Does anyone know how many places are available for Y7 girls. ?

Would the juniors at City not already take most of these places ?

Are the entrance exams the same for the juniors at City as for external students?

Would the teachers not try to safeguard their interest in fee paying juniors and lead them into the right areas when exmas approach. ?

I am wondering what chance does my daughter have of getting through if all these odds are stacked against us?

regards
hermanmunster

Re: How many places are available at City of London for Girl

Post by hermanmunster »

from the website:
What proportion of girls come from independent and state sector schools?

In any one year, approximately 50% of our 11+ entrants come from independent sector schools and 50% from state sector schools. However, this may vary depending on the ability of the girls that apply from the two sectors in any one year.
so at least half are not from the junior school

edit:: also from the website there are 104 doing GCSE last year and it is 4 form entry ... so about 26 in each form. the prep is one form entry so presumably about 25-6 in the form Even if all these go on into the senior school there are still 75 places for non prep pupils...

edit::: :lol: just realised one old school colleague and one work colleague are governors!!
girish

Post by girish »

thank you for your response..

Guess i have to give my child the opportunity
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

City are part of the North London Consortium so they do not create their own exam. Instead they use the same exam as other indy schools to reduce the number of exams that girls have to sit. My dd sat City 2 years ago and gained a place but she also won a place at a semi selective state school and so did not take up the City place. It was our second favourite school though and we were talking about it only yesterday. We both loved the experience of the exams and interviews and I know my dd would have been very happy there. Great sport, drama and music and girls who clearly are not materialistic but focused on academic work, just our cup of tea! If you do a search on my posts you will see lots of comments about it. I dont think they favour their preps at all, they want the best they can find. We can't fault it, we went to lots of open days and exams and we loved everything about City. DG
girish

Post by girish »

Thanks for that daigroupie..i will read your posts and learn from it...maybe you can suggest how you taught your dd in order to pass the tests..i heard they are very hard..

thx once again
Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Good luck with the exam preparations.

CLSG have around 95 places for year 7 entry and not all the prep girls transfer to the senior school.

The school is part of the consortium and I understand they no longer use the computerised test as part of the entry process. I have two dd's at the school and from my experience if dd is clever enough to get in she will cope with the academic work, whatever their background. The proportion of girls entering the school from the state sector is not 50% as stated and is more like 25%.

Please see my previous posts about preparing for the exam, which worked for all 4 of my dd's.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are taking away the computerised test? That is interesting, they only used it for two years. My elder dd took it in the first year to do it November 2009 and younger dd took it in November 2010. Do you know why they are stopping using it? DG
la boume

Post by la boume »

On the open evening back in June Miss Vernon said something like "the test was not telling us much anyway".
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

la boume wrote:On the open evening back in June Miss Vernon said something like "the test was not telling us much anyway".
I'm glad to hear that! :lol: I think a paper format would be more easier to deal with if you can go back to later questions,rather than having to answer there and then.
;D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd's both hated it because you could not jump around and do the questions you liked best first. I had always taught them that you did not have to answer the questions in the order the examiner had chosen to put them in the paper. They always went for types they found easy first to build up confidence and then went back to ones they found harder. They found the do the question now and no chance to go back to it aspect of the computerised test horrible. So are St Pauls abandoning it as well or just City? DG