Age Standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

agathachristie

Age Standardisation

Post by agathachristie »

Could anyone out there explain to me how the age standardisation works in Surrey? I have an October born DS and also a summer DD.
laretta

Re: Age Standadisation

Post by laretta »

Hi

I think it is something along the lines of after the tests have been taken:-

Children's scores are grouped into ages. All scores collated for children born (lets call this group 1)*Sept to Nov* and averaged out. Same is then done for (group2) * Dec- Feb*, (group 3) *March- May* and (group 4) * June-August*. Once all these group averages are in - it is then easy to identify the advantage of older children as it appears that group 1 generally has a higher average than group 2, group 2 more than group three and so on.
Depending on what the point difference is, it is then decided how much the standardisation will be in order to even out any disadvantage for younger children. People in group 1 will receive no points and the other groups will receive however many points worked out in the averaging. I read somewhere on this forum that the most points is usually around 10 for those in group 4 and respectively less for those in 3 and 2. Just to confuse matters further, I have also read that a July born child (group4) can only expect 4-6 points in standardisation. I suppose it depends on the cohort?
Please feel free anyone to correct if I have got it all wrong.
mynameisbond

Re: Age Standadisation

Post by mynameisbond »

No age allowance for Wilsons, WCGS only give extra points on the VR (useless really as VR only equates to 20% of overall mark anyway !), Tiffin standardises for age and not sure about Sutton. Have never heard of it making a huge difference and certainly not as many as ten points ! It will depend on cohort of children, difficulty of test that year etc.....others may have more to say on this from a mathematical perspective !
agathachristie

Re: Age Standardisation

Post by agathachristie »

Thank you for your replies.I guess regardless of what month a child is born it all depends on the day and how they are able to rise to the challenge.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now