Sixth Form Entry Criteria - CCHS (Colchester)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moonlight

Sixth Form Entry Criteria - CCHS (Colchester)

Post by Moonlight »

My daughter is applying for Sixth Form soon and we are going to look around the grammar school in November. I wondered if anybody knows what the entrance criteria is for external candidates (the minimum number of GCSE's required and their grades)? Also, how many places are offered to external candidates per year? I have looked on their website but can't find specific details. It's Colchester that we're specifically interested in although feedback for Chelmsford would also be appreciated if anyone can help.
Clarabelle

Re: Sixth Form Entry Criteria - CCHS (Colchester)

Post by Clarabelle »

I have a copy of the current prospectus here. I recently attended an open morning for yr 7 entry & overheard the receptionist giving sixth form admission criteria over the phone so worth a call if you need further info.

"Our first priority is to CCHSG students. In response to requests for places in our sixth form an academic reference will be sought from the external applicant's present school. If she is considered suitable in terms of academic ability & attitude to study & if the subjects she wishes to study at AS/2 level are available, an applicant will be offered a conditional place. The minimum entry requirement is AAAABB at GCSE including English Language & Mathematics. Furthermore, students will be expected to achieve Grade A or A* in any GCSE subject which they are currently taking which they wish to continue at A level.

Those students wishing to take A level Music will require GCSE Music at Grade A or A*, Associated Board Grade 5 Music Theory & Associated Board Grade 5 Music Practical.

Entrance to A level Drama & Theatre Studies will depend on suitability for the practical elements of the A level. This will be determined by an audition which will take place during the Spring Term.

Conditional offers of places will be made after the closing application date.

An external applicant would not be offered a place if the school considered that her addition to a teaching group (or groups) would increase the size of it (or them) to the detriment of the group (or groups as a whole & it is not financially or educationally desirable for the Governors to alter the balance of the school's staffing or appoint additional staff to create additional groups"
Clarabelle
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thank you for your reply Clarabelle. You were most helpful. Could you just let me know if you are referring to Colchester or Chelmsford? Thanks.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

The information is from the prospectus for Colchester Girls.
Clarabelle
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now