Selection criteria for Bexley (even if out of borough)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
shahinoor

Selection criteria for Bexley (even if out of borough)

Post by shahinoor »

Can someone please check my understanding.

In order to be considered for a grammar school place in bexley your child has had to score a 'selctable' score. this year this was 218. (which roughly equates to 76 %).

If the child scored in top 180 in the borough (this year 254 - which is roughly 90%) than he or she is guranteed a place.

Anything between 218-254 (ie 76%-89%) is all done by distance. Even if you are out the borough. So a child scoreing 77 % if living living closer will get priority than a child getting 88% if living further.

Is that right?
shahinoor

Re: Selection criteria for Bexley (even if out of borough)

Post by shahinoor »

PS distance walking distance from your house to the centre of the school
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

That is my understanding shahinoor. Check the Bexley admissions booklet to be certain. Good luck x
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

shashinoor,

You're right that anything mark that is not top 180 but is deemed selective is based on distance, however the kids in the borough will get priority regardless of distance.
so its top 180,
kids who live in Bexley borough
then out of borough based on distance.
Alice73

Post by Alice73 »

As far as I know there is no specific priority for Bexley residents.
All 'selective' children, no matter what borough they live in, will be prioritised by distance. Those who are in care, have medical circumstances or those with siblings in schools they are applying to, will be given higher priority than one based on distance.
Oh and forgot to say the top 180 get their 1st choice before everyone else.
Last edited by Alice73 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alice
layla22

Post by layla22 »

I agree with Alice73.
After top 180, the selection is then based along the criteria as set out in the admission's book, which in all cases in Bexley goes down to DISTANCE. However, our HT, did tell us in June at his "transfer talk", that he had to make 2-3 appeals last year for bexley grammars and they were successful.
What I think he was trying to say was that if deemed selective , he was confident that he could lodge a successful appeal.
On another note he also said that he found it easier to appeal for Kent tests than Bexley ones- because of the English writing piece.
Then you have to remember that 68 % of the children deemed selective this year are OOB ( according to Bexley website yesterday), so do not give up hope yet.
Did you son do the Kent test?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'm not familiar with all the different Bexley school admissions documents so this post is in general rather than specific to Bexley.

It is unlawful to give priority to "in borough" children. By using the distance criteria, it means in borough children are most likely to be higher priority than out of borough (ie. because they live closer).
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

shahinoor wrote:Can someone please check my understanding.

In order to be considered for a grammar school place in bexley your child has had to score a 'selctable' score. this year this was 218. (which roughly equates to 76 %).

If the child scored in top 180 in the borough (this year 254 - which is roughly 90%) than he or she is guranteed a place.

Anything between 218-254 (ie 76%-89%) is all done by distance. Even if you are out the borough. So a child scoreing 77 % if living living closer will get priority than a child getting 88% if living further.

Is that right?
Hi Shahinoor,

Yes, your understanding is correct. Except for Top 180, a Pass is a Pass (regardless of score) and the distance criteria comes into play.

Although, because the scores are standardized, they don't equate to the percentages you mention.

Hope that helps, it's such a nerve wracking time making the right choices. Best wishes.
shahinoor

Post by shahinoor »

i think it depends where you live...if you live just outside the borders of bexley than you could find youself nearer to a school than someone who lives inside bexley
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

shahinoor wrote:i think it depends where you live...if you live just outside the borders of bexley than you could find youself nearer to a school than someone who lives inside bexley
Yes, that's right.

Children living in the far north of Bexley often don't get a place at grammar, even though they've passed (this is the reason that the Top 180 was created). So if you live just over the border (eg. Greenwich resident near to Bexley Grammar) you have a higher chance of gaining a grammar place than Bexley residents living further away from the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now