Open Day Chis & Sid - your views??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

starmum2000

Open Day Chis & Sid - your views??

Post by starmum2000 »

I know a lot of us went this morning, can't say I spotted you :lol: :lol: !
What are your thoughts? The HT speech was short, always a plus point in my book, but he didn't seem very confident - no eye contact?!?
The pupils who took us round were very polite & enthusiastic, though I don't feel we saw an awful lot, quite a few empty classrooms without any displays.
I think it seems like a good school but it didn't shine for me today.
I'm hanging out for the Kent results - Dartford Grammar is our favourite :?
layla22

Re: Open Day Chis & Sid - your views??

Post by layla22 »

Interesting thoughts. I didn't go, although I/we intend to put C&S 3rd on CAF. Like you I am hanging out for Kent results and hoping and praying for DGS which my DS and I visited back in June. Really liked it, but even then, that will be DS's 2nd choice as 1st is St Olave's- yet to sit test.
Would be really pleased to know though that DGS is obtainable if all does not go well at St O.
I'm in a state of limbo at the moment, in fact today I feel quite sick with it all. My Ds got a really good score in Bexley, top 180, but he doesn't really want a Bexley grammar. I know that sounds ungrateful when there are so many parents out there who were either disappointed or will be in suspense until allocation day and here we are seemingly rejecting a Bex grammar.
Actually I feel like crying now, so I shall go off and do that, then pull myself together and come back later.....
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I know that sounds ungrateful when there are so many parents out there who were either disappointed or will be in suspense until allocation day and here we are seemingly rejecting a Bex grammar.
Actually I feel like crying now, so I shall go off and do that, then pull myself together and come back later.....
Tact, please. In Bexley 91% of kids at state primaries failed the 11+.
Yet again, they are excluded from applying to the schools on their doorstep.
That IS something to cry about.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Layla, I know how you feel, and why you might seem 'ungrateful' but don't feel that way.
We all want what is best for our children including the right school. I would prefer a Kent grammar over a bexley grammar, but if I don't get the choice I will take any grammar over a comp as I feel that is right for my child.
I know there are many who didn't pass and are desperately upset, but that doesn't mean you are not allowed to worry and be upset over your own situation, all be it a better one than those who were not 'deemed selective.'
Good luck with your choices.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

its a shame if 91% of kids in state primaries did not pass.
Ths school's are definitely not giving the kids the best opportunities.
They go on about not preparing for the 11+ but the exam is being taken in their borough and right at the beginning of year 6 as well.

The independent schools in Bexley tend to have over 90% pass rate, get all the kids ready by the end of year 5 and most get places in the schools of choice.

Bexley council should really look into their primary school policy. Whats the point of an exam in a borough when kids are not encouraged to prepare for it?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The pass rate for Bexley children was 18% .

Of those who passed 31.4% were from Bexley
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Blessed mum, I totally agree with you - Bexley council need to get their act together. Getting rid of the Top 180 would be a start as all it does is encourage excessive OOB tutoring and this is not the purpose it was set up for.

Kids north of the borough are still getting a raw deal and I don't think that's fair.
moneypenny63

Post by moneypenny63 »

To bring this back to the original question - I took my DS to Chis and Sid today. He passed with 242 which I consider a very decent pass - we were with a family whose DD was a "top 180" and her father said "this is not her 1st choice, she really wants TOGs, we are awaiting the Kent results, and she will also do Newstead Woods test" :!: :evil: The lovely fellow who was showing us around was brilliant - a true asset to the school. The father opened classroom doors where there were tests going on - quite clearly labelled on the door :!: but still the fellow guiding us handled it all with ease. I didn't know what to make of the school, its a bit tatty in places, the kids are a bit scruffy in their uniforms -BUT - they were for the most part very polite, patient and good humoured at this army of people walking around their school. The results speak for themselves - and I would be very happy for my DS to get a place there :P We are returning on Weds eve with DH so he can cast an unbiased eye over the whole proceedings :wink: "See" you all there!
Last edited by moneypenny63 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
countingtoten

Post by countingtoten »

moneypenny - That parent sounded really rude :x - what is TOTs?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

countingtoten wrote: - what is TOTs?
I'm glad you asked, I was also wondering what TOTs is.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now