The Crypt :rumour of underallocated??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
veebee

The Crypt :rumour of underallocated??

Post by veebee »

Dear All my DS is ranked 250 for Marling and scored 119 for crypt. He is keen on either school. Has a hope at Marling? (his favourite) or would you advise we forget it and put only The Crypt first???
gloucestermum

Re: The Crypt :rumour of underallocated??

Post by gloucestermum »

Hi,

You really have nothing to lose putting Marling 1st on the CAF,as your 2nd choice becomes your 1st choice if you are unsuccessful.I would advise putting your preferences in the true order.The Crypt score would have gained a place for the last 4 years,in fact just a pass would have been enough!

Hope that helps,

GM
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Veebee - you are so safe for them! Well done your DS! I really hope Crypt is under subscribed as that means my boy with 3 points over will get in! Any more news on that anyone do let me know! All reassurances greatly appreciated and now my DH away travelling they are greatly needed!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Neveragain, I'm sure your DS will be fine for Crypt. Both Crypt and Ribston have been undersubscribed for some strange reason over the last few years (something to do with where they pitch their pass mark) and I don't think there's any reason for that to have changed this year.

Have you thought of perhaps giving the admissions person at Crypt a ring on Monday? The schools are usually very helpful and although they obviously can't promise you a place, I think they will confirm what the lowest pass mark was that got a place over the last few years.

I know the wait until March is horrid, but I'm sure your DS will get a place, and if he doesn't you can always appeal. I'm sure lots of people with DC in the twilight zone will start (probably unnecessarily!) preparing their appeals just incase - At least it gives you something positive to do if you aren't able to just forget about it until allocations day.

Best wishes

Pixiequeen
veebee

Post by veebee »

Thank you all!!! VERY REASSURING !!! someone else has told me that ALL Ranks have had a place at Marling in the last few years: CAN THAT be true??? (thankfully we are happy with Crypt as have a DD at Ribston)
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Thanks again! Actually I e- mailed school yesterday and they were SO helpful, replied TODAY (!) and reiterated what you have said so, fingers crossed and lots deep breaths all should be fine. My DS teacher suggested appealing for STR but I have to say that we are more than happy with Crypt and had decided on it anyway earlier in the week with a Pros and Cons list!!!! My DS totally oblivious and thrilled he has passed fro both Crypt and Marling!!! How on earth is it that my DS score for Pates was so much higher than his STR score? Wierd! It is all such a mystery!
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

Really really hoping that my DS gets the place at Crypt we all want for him
He is just under the pass mark, still can't really believe it, he is sooooooo disappointed especially as all his friends seem to have passed for their chosen schools. :cry:
Such a long wait till March but have been encouraged by other posts and also a friend telling me that 3 years ago that several of her son's friends who were below the pass were offered places
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Totally gutted - have you called or emailed the school? I found them so helpful. They will have historical knowledge that may help?
totally_gutted

Post by totally_gutted »

hi neveragain
Not yet, I think I was in such shock yesterday that I couldn't really think straight. That and trying not to show him how disappointed I was (disappointed FOR him, not in him). Spent day trying to work out what had gone wrong as based on practice paper results he should have passed, so can only put it down to him having a bad day. Having said that, have seen several posts saying that one paper was heavy on literacy/vocab questions and he doesnt find those as easy as the maths ones.
He is in top sets for both literacy and maths at primary and all feedback from school, CATs from y5 etc, has been that he is GS calibre.
Local comp is v good (SevernVale) but he has his heart set on Crypt
Will call or e-mail Mrs Wales tomorrow, and also head at primary to ensure they are on board from start for a possible appeal in March
Last edited by totally_gutted on Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Exactly the same as my DS...... strange isn't it BUT it is one test one day...... doesn't mean anything! I am sure the school will be very supportive! Let me know (private message me maybe) how you get on tomorrow. Any support I can give - let me know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now