HSFG or Ribston?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

daisydoo

HSFG or Ribston?

Post by daisydoo »

What are the main differences between HSFG and Ribston? I see on the forum that many would prefer HSFG? any guidance appreciated so DD can make a decision, many thanks
Amber

Re: HSFG or Ribston?

Post by Amber »

I have a very close friend with a daughter in each. I think she would say that the main difference she has noticed is that the arty/creative side is emphasised more at Ribston and that HSFG is more 'straight down the middle'. Both her daughters are really happy at school but my friend does, if pushed, say that she prefers Ribston for her family (v important - it is all so personal this) and feels that it allows a little more creativity without in any way compromising on the academic side. I think you probably have to go and get a 'feel' for it - this friend's Ribston daughter loves Dance (there is a brilliant dance studio I believe) and Art, whereas the HSFG one used to enjoy those things but now seems to enjoy Maths and Science more - whether this is a natural trajectory for her or a result of what has happened at school I have no idea.

What about things like transport? That starts to matter more on dark winter nights.

I think what you might be detecting on the forum is a relic of the 'pecking order' which still probably affects both Ribston and Crypt because of the slightly lower pass marks needed to get in. In the end they are both grammar schools and many people choose to send a child to one instead of one they have passed for higher up the 'pecking order' - I have one such friend who chose Crypt over STRS and has not for one moment regretted that decision for her high-flying son. I think it is so important to try and disregard everything apart from what suits you and your DC the best, with the information you have available.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My DD is favouring Ribston I think because she is arty and we liked the feel for the school. Hope 224 will be enough for a place !!
stressedoutmummy

Post by stressedoutmummy »

My daughter is very arty/creative and she much preferred HSFG. Why, I really couldn't say. She just walked in and immediately fell in love with everything...and this is after seeing five schools. I think she will thrive at HSFG because she seems to enjoy the entire school experience and there are no subjects that she doesn't like. Fingers crossed that we get in come March.

All of my friends that have seen both schools have preferred Ribston, myself included. The head teacher is so approachable and the head of year seven seems fantastic!

In the end, we went for her choice because she does like HSFG so much and it's such a good school anyway. Either school, your daughter will do well.
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

Thanks for the feedback - it's useful to get a different perspective and looks like both schools are great:D
BJOD

Post by BJOD »

Are you intending to try with your "Ranked 141" for Pates as your 1st choice ... if you do, and are successful, then the discussion may become futile?
daisydoo

Post by daisydoo »

DD loved Pates and going back to see on Thursday. Just don't think rank 141 will be high enough so have to seriously consider other options:) Trouble is if I put it first what's the probability of getting a place?
Amber

Post by Amber »

daisydoo wrote:DD loved Pates and going back to see on Thursday. Just don't think rank 141 will be high enough so have to seriously consider other options:) Trouble is if I put it first what's the probability of getting a place?
A lot higher than if you don't put it down. :)

You have nothing whatsoever to lose by putting it first - if you don't get a place your second choice becomes your effective first choice. There is no prejudice to the second choice in this case - they will never know you didn't put them first.

A few years ago Pates went down below the 160. And there is plenty of evidence that they regularly go into the 130s - 141 isn't all that far away! Go for it if it's what you want!