The big question - how high will the bar be in March 2012?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
greenwichdad

The big question - how high will the bar be in March 2012?

Post by greenwichdad »

After the scores got lost down the back of a sofa at our school, we suddenly got a call. Nipper has 403, best mate 405.

IN March 2011 the cutoff for out of catchment for Dartford Boys was 411. Before that is was 395. Does anyone have a clue/guess/feeling in their waters as to the numbers for this year?

Whatever happens, we're proud that he really delivered - for himself, not for us. In some areas, this would get him into a Super Selective.

Looks exactly how we thought it would be, though: we won't have a clue as to what's happening until March 1!
shahinoor

Re: The big question - how high will the bar be in March 201

Post by shahinoor »

I am in the same boat my son got 408 and we live outside Kent
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

The pass mark per paper has risen this year from 117 to 119, suggesting that scores might have been higher than last year?
gromme

Post by gromme »

quote]After the scores got lost down the back of a sofa at our school, we suddenly got a call. Nipper has 403, best mate 405.

IN March 2011 the cutoff for out of catchment for Dartford Boys was 411. Before that is was 395. In some areas, this would get him into a Super Selective.[/quote]

I wish I know what superselectives take with 409. we are not OOC and I still do not have much hope for West Kent grammars for boys. It looks like a waiting list and appeal. But my DS is very happy and proud. We are proud too. It is not easy to do all this secondary school transfer nonsense. The pass does NOT eaqual to a school place.
greenwichdad

Post by greenwichdad »

Ah, interesting, albeit not great news. Where did you get that information? Does anyone know pass marks for previous years? I have seen the figure of 120 quoted before/

As far as I understand the statistical basis of scoring, that would mean the bell curve is skewed and that even more people achieved the 420 total than usual.

2011's OOB intake had to get 411
2010 was apparently 395
2009 was 401.

Does anyone know how this relates to the number of entrants?
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

greenwichdad wrote:Ah, interesting, albeit not great news. Where did you get that information? Does anyone know pass marks for previous years? I have seen the figure of 120 quoted before/
Quote from Kent.gov website:
"To be automatically assessed suitable for grammar school in 2011's Kent 11+ process, a child needed to score a total of 360 or more in the tests, with no single score lower than 119."

In the two years previously the score required to pass was a total of 360 or more, with no single score lower than 117.

The 120 figure is often quoted, but that's because it is the average mark required across all three papers to achieve the 360 pass.
Westerham Dad

Post by Westerham Dad »

Hi All, Now Christmas is out of the way my mind is now back on the 01st March e-mail !!... we are in Westerham so a distance away from Dartford Boys Grammar School, we have chosen the school as one of our high choices due to it's excellent reputation and the great transport links from Orpington, My son scored 414 in the Kent test so fingers crossed !!!.... good luck everyone.... :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now