How much in 30 mins

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

How much in 30 mins

Post by Tinkers »

Just started getting DD practising writing stories in 30 minutes. Her descriptions, spelling and stuff seem to be quite good, handwriting reasonable, but she tends to faff about. Can some one give me an indication of how much she should be aiming for in half an hour as it would give her something aim for in the time and concentrate the mind. If someone can give me lengths in number of words I can gauge the number of pages for her.
pist

Re: How much in 30 mins

Post by pist »

Not sure about how many words, but tend to tell my dd to aim for about 1 A4 page and go for quality rather than quantity (she tends to go on and on and on - with quality diminishing the further she gets)
Hope this helps - maybe someone with more expertise will come along too :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Thanks.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Sorry for a slight hijack but I posted a related query last night about my year 3 ds never finishing his written work in class (which his teacher flagged up to me as something to address).

Pist and Tinkers: do your DDs finish their written literacy work in class? My DS gets lost in new ideas as he writes. Someone told me this morning he will get quicker with practice but now I'm wondering ...
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
pist

Post by pist »

My dd tends to get her writing tasks as homework, so spend houuuuuuurs (falling of char, dropping pencil etc...). She does get writing as a test in school, and then she finishes, but usually with little or no time to check (or even quickly having to bring the story to a close) - Due to 11+ coming up we have started doing timed sessions at home - that almost works :roll:

I do actually think the expectation regarding written work is too high too early in this country. Year by year English achievements in Sats fall way below maths - so couldn't it be that we expect more than children (on average) are actually capable off? -Just wondering....
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Yes, dropping the pencil, resharpening it .. if only there was a test on these procrastination techniques!

I agree with you about the SATS expectations and their age. Made me wonder who on earth drew them up; which pool of children they'd got these expectations from? Is a Europe-wide thing and kids in Europe, or America, are streets ahead in this area?

Sorry, to go on: will go and crossly rant at my cornflakes!
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In year 3 she often had to be told to hurry up and teacher's comment was She day dreamed a lot. Following year, different teacher (much better one IMO) and there was no mention of day dreaming or not working quickly. She does seem to normally get stuff finished but not always and I still think there's an element if faffing goes on. At home I have realised the incentive of chocolate if used at the right time. (last night it was if you manage to do all 100 times tables questions in under 5 mins you can have chocolate, time achieved four minutes 55 secs, a few weeks with no incentive, ago 8 mins when I know she could have done it in five)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now