Second sitting of exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

magwich2

Second sitting of exam

Post by magwich2 »

We have just returned from the second sitting. I was a bit surprised at the large number of children who were ill or otherwise engaged on the first occasion. We do have a completely genuine reason backed up with written evidence for needing the later date (taking DD1 to Oxford to start her course) but it does occur to me that there would be certain advantages to one's child to take the second test
One would be that for most of the children there (although not DS) it was the 4th day of half term so they were well rested whilst the others had to pitch up on a saturday morning after a week at school.
One mother I spoke to had twins - one had sat the exam 1st time round and the other today - kind of beggars belief that you would not discuss it at home perhaps to give the weaker one a better chance??
One would think that at least where there are twins that both would have to sit the later test where one was ill.
Some of the questions and vocabulary was SO specific that it would be a huge help to have known about it beforehand - perhaps if ones relative sat it first for instance.
One mother I spoke to had one twin sit the exam in the first sitting, poor child threw a wobbly and had to leave after 5 minutes (DS said that would be plenty of time to look through the entire first paper), sitting it again today with twin doing it for the first time.
None of this seems to be great does it?
Perhaps someone could also let me know when it will be ok to post more details about the exam to help people next year?
um

Re: Second sitting of exam

Post by um »

How frustrating - it makes a farce out of the whole process :roll:

You are right - if a child knew in advance what the cloze topic was, they would be able to read up on that subject and it would give them a huge boost. Similarly, but to a slightly lesser degree, with comprehension. And again, if any children/relatives remembered the vocabulary or specific maths questions. Overall, your score could be massively improved by this type of cheating.

I can hardly believe the situation with the twins :shock:

My ds1 said that in one of his 11 plus exams 2 years ago (not the KE one) there was an older boy helping out who rushed to the papers in the break to have a quick read through them :!: Was it curiosity or a little sibling in the house?
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

just out of interest, is the second exam the same as the first then?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Yes :shock:
um

Post by um »

I think that if they set a different exam, they might find a significant reduction in the number of pupils sitting it late :evil:

I accept that many of the late pupils have perfectly good reasons for being unable to sit the exam on 1 October...the question is, do all of them :?:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Last years I phoned admissions to clarify when the last sitting of the exam would be held.
The answer last year was that they are obliged to allow children moving into the area to sit the test for many more months yet.
nmf

Post by nmf »

Warwickshire do seem very relaxed about the 11+. My Dc sat 1st October. Parent's milling about in the exam hall for up to 45 minutes, exam papers sat on the desks. In fact there was an announcement at about 9.20 for people to stop looking through the exam papers on the desk!
If it wasn't so important it would be funny.
sky111

Post by sky111 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always knew the exam was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nmf wrote:Warwickshire do seem very relaxed about the 11+. My Dc sat 1st October. Parent's milling about in the exam hall for up to 45 minutes, exam papers sat on the desks. In fact there was an announcement at about 9.20 for people to stop looking through the exam papers on the desk!
If it wasn't so important it would be funny.
The Troll

Second sitting of exam

Post by The Troll »

I think people should consider:

1. If a person is out of area, it makes no sense to take the 11+ in October.
Take it around Easter at a date when the test is marked and results available and before the appeals start.

2. If you think your child will score poorly, take it around Easter. There is NO requirement to take the 11+ in October.
The only consequence is that you do not get a first round offer.

3. Taking it late has great benefits. You may know what is NOT in the exam. Eg You will know the VR Type 1-21 are not tested at all. Why waste time on this?

4. You will know the type of questions available.

5. Some children leave the 11+ and write down all the questions they remember. They pass it on to friends, relatives and even sell the data. Warwickshire believe "a child cannot remember the questions". Pigs also fly. The same test is used in every testing as this way they can compare performance in the same test.

6. Taking the 11+ late means you do not need to prepare much in maths as the school may have "hot housed" the child for Sats.
Children who take it early, have to cover the entire year 6 syllabus by the begining of year 6.

7. If the 11+ can be marked within 2 weeks, there is no reason for it to be held until 1 month before offer day.
All subsequent sitting should be held after the first appeals process is over. This would stop the abuse.

magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I completely agree with The Troll but it will be a bit better next year when the admissions dept have to give parents the results before they fill in the school application form.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now