Grounds for an Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Evoman

Grounds for an Appeal?

Post by Evoman »

Hello,

My son missed out of achieving the qualifying score by 5 points. This was for Marling School in Stroud, Glos.

I have emailed the admissions officer at Marling but have received no reply. I have asked her what would be the procedure we need to follow re appealing. I am conscious of time ticking away if we need to get something done soon.

I appreciate that after the weekend of results coming out, she may be snowed under with questions.

If anyone has experience of said school and a similar predicament, I would be very grateful to hear your comments.

Is a score of 5 short worth appealing against or is it a waste of time and effort? We are obviously keen to appeal and need to know if there is anything we need to do NOW!

Thanks in advance.
mystery

Re: Grounds for an Appeal?

Post by mystery »

I don't think you can appeal until after places have been allocated can you? Places are allocated 1 March nationally aren't they, and then you appeal?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Agreed - Bucks, notably, operates a somewhat different system, but in most areas you can't appeal until after 1st March, and most such appeals are likely to be heard during the summer term.

Someone with local knowledge may be able to advise you about the 5 point gap, but another factor to be weighed in the balance is how strong a case you can put together.

You've plenty of time to read the Q&As
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and to consider what sort of case you might present and what evidence to collate.
Etienne
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

In Slough you get the results in December, and a letter comes with it stating there is a deadline for submission for appeal at around 14 days after the date of the results letter, I think. So just make sure you haven't overlooked some information to this effect. There might also be something on the school website.
In Slough, although the last deadline for registering an appeal is sometime in December, the appeal is not heard until well after allocations day.

Good luck
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

I beleive you need to wait until after allocation day to actually appeal but there is no harm in pulling together the information now e.g. was there anything that happened in the exam / on the day that caused your DS to do worse than expected.

Make notes of everything - even the littlest thing could help.

You will probably also need to be able to show that he will be OK with the work / pace etc so CATS scores, teachers / headteachers reports and predicted SATs etc are important.

If you have not already, try the Glos board - there are lots of discussions on there and people who have appealed before
sarajtb

Post by sarajtb »

I'm in exactly the same position for Stroud High and my daughter. I've been told that you cannot appeal until 1 April.

I have spent a lot of time trying to work out my daugher's raw scores and percentages. Her final score was 207. I think that she scored 91% on paper 1 but only did 65 questions. She then did about 73% on the second. She's only 10yrs and 2months so will have points added but I can't work out how many that was so it skews my raw score and percentage estimates a bit. If you know anything about that I'd be interested to hear about it.

She is dyslexic and takes more time than most to complete the papers which is going to be my grounds for appeal if I decide to do it.
sarajtb

Post by sarajtb »

Evoman, go to the following it should be of help to you.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 16&t=22501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Can I suggest that you also post this in the Glos section as you may get help from more people in the area who don't always read this section.
Technically you cannot appeal until you have been offered a place in April, you can however get your appeal together now. Write down everything that you know about your reasons for appeal because in a few months time they may have slipped your mind. Make sure that you place a school that you would be happy for your ds to attend on your CAF plus the catchment school. I think Capers will be able to offer more advice.
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now