Wilmington Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jan131

Wilmington Grammar

Post by Jan131 »

:?: Just wondered if anyone had any views re Wilmington Grammar. Went to their open evening yesterday and was a little disappointed. Have past relations that have attended there (although a while ago) and normally have read only positive things about it on this forum. We have been looking at Bexley Grammars as well, and the difference in the way they "showed"their schools was considerable. When we arrived we were just given a map of the school and left to find our own way round (the other schools gave you a guided tour in the evenings) and even when we went into the classrooms very few of the teachers or students seemed keen to greet us or engage us or our son in conversation. It generally seemed a bit chaotic, and no real effort made to portray the school in an attractive light. I was really disappointed as wanted to like the school, but it felt as if they just were not particularly bothered!! Any comments appreciated.
hermanmunster

Re: Wilmington Grammar

Post by hermanmunster »

I hate open evenings - always come away unimpressed... much prefer an ordinary working day.
Bendy

Post by Bendy »

Hi Jan131

I was there last night but only to collect my son who was helping out. He started this September and has settled in really well. When I was looking at schools I actually preferred to wander around on my own and take my time rather than follow in a group. I'm sorry that you felt that the teachers didn't engage with you or your son and I hope that this will not sway you from putting Wilmington down on your CAF.

Six boys from my sons primary transferred this year and all have settled in well and are extremely happy.

If you have a chance to attend an open morning (tomorrow) you will be taken around in a small group by a member of the 6th form it will be less chaotic and hopefully you will see the school in a different light.

Good luck in the route you take and I hope that you are successful in your final choice.
giddy

Post by giddy »

We were there last night too, and were thoroughly impressed with the school. The Head came across well, more like a human being who cared about the pupils, rather than just a robot on a sales pitch like some others. He did make a point of saying that he is not there to "sell" the school, what you see and hear there should speak for itself. The teachers in the room were helpful and answered any questions we had, as did the pupils who were very enthusiastic and proud of their school. I thought it was quite a good idea to make your own way round with the map (albeit the writing could have been a bigger!!), as you could go at your own pace rather than with a group. The displays were fantastic and the facilities great; my son was really taken with the school so it'll be going to the top of the list.

I think it's good advice from Bendy to go back in the day, we'll be there tomorrow. However, everyone sees things differently and what appeals to some people does not appeal to others, but it's good to get varying opinions.
Lass

Post by Lass »

We didn't go to the evening as had been to one toward the end of the last academic year. But we went today and were very impressed. We had a tour by 2 very enthusiastic 6-formers. They were very thorough and we were there over 2 1/2 hours in all, including the head teachers speech.

I've found schools are very different in the day time to how they are in the open evening. Some better, some worse, but definitely worth going along on both occasions!
Jan131

Post by Jan131 »

Thanks for your comments

I did go back today and it was a much better experience! :o
In my opinion it does come across a little more "informal" than some of the other grammars, but maybe this intended and a positive.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Glad you had a better day! I think day time visits tend to be more helpful
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now