Dartford Grammar Boys Rugby?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

starmum2000

Dartford Grammar Boys Rugby?

Post by starmum2000 »

I have heard a lot about this - is it really as big a part of the school as it sounds?
Does anyone's DS go there and not play Rugby?
I asked about it at the open day & was told while it wasn't compulsory it was 'very strongly encouraged'.
Will my DS be penalised if doesn't like it/ isn't very good/can't get to the away matches?
Obviously if he loves it, I will support him, but he really isn't very sporty and rather unco-ordinated :oops: and this does scare me a little bit about DG!
hermanmunster

Re: Dartford Grammar Boys Rugby?

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't know about DGS but many schools can give the impression of being "rugby mad" and although everyone has to do a bit ultimately only a limited number actually do a lot.

EGS in Skipton is a bit like that - DS doesn't like rugby but did statutory class lessons for the first few years then that was it while others play after school / weekends etc etc , for local clubs - england under 18's, county teams etc.

One year half the school piled off to twickers to watch the first team in some cup final - that's the point though the other half stayed behind because they really didn't want to go.

DGS may be even more fanatical - in which case get the washing machine going... loadsa mucky kit
trixiebell

Post by trixiebell »

Hi Starmum,

My DS is currently in year 7 at DGS. We(really DS) choose this school over other GS because of the rugby.

Monday after school is rugby training, double period on a Friday afternoon rugby and Saturday morning rugby training or matches, depending on whether you have been selected to play.

On a Monday afternoon approx 125/150 boys attend, same on the Saturday. It is generally expected of the boys to attend however, my son informs me that the PE masters are aware of those that do not attend.

The standard of rugby varies and is very well taught, through the school you have County standard and of course an ex pupil that played at international level!!! It is a way of life at DGS.
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

Oh well, thats really put me off :( !
Lass

Post by Lass »

starmum2000 wrote:Oh well, thats really put me off :( !
That's exactly what put me off it too starmum :( .
layla22

Post by layla22 »

At the open day in June I did ask one of the boys showing us around about this "emphasis" on rugby and he said that it wasn't compulsory and it was only those that were really keen to play at competitive level that were encouraged and expected to play.
I shall mention this at the open evening tomorrow- this time with one of the teachers and post their reply.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

Please don't be put off by the rugby! My DS is in Year 9 now and could not be described as a keen rugby player by any stretch of the imagination. The Saturday rugby training in Year 7 is encouraged but not compulsory. DS went and quite enjoyed it inspite of himself. However he only went in Year 7 and now only plays in the weekly games lesson. There are so many other fantastic opportunities available at DGS that you can enjoy if you're not a rugby fanatic.
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Thank you Jiff,
Ever so glad you said that. Hope starmum will not be put off now.
Anyone else going to open evening tonight?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes don't be put off - there are people who would describe Ermysted's like that - but then they are constantly fetching and carrying muddy boys and tend to think everyone is the same :roll: Generally these things are encouraged but not compulsory.
Lass

Post by Lass »

layla22 wrote:Thank you Jiff,
Ever so glad you said that. Hope starmum will not be put off now.
Anyone else going to open evening tonight?
Planning on going back for another look tonight, subject to fitting it into kids busy social schedule :lol: .

The year 7 who toured us in June told us it was compulsory to attend 3 extra curricular clubs in year 7, one of which had to be rugby. Have we been misinformed?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now