Dartford or Townley ??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Muggle

Dartford or Townley ??

Post by Muggle »

Does anyone have children at one of these schools? I'd be really interested in any views or opinions.
Tracy

Re: Dartford or Townley ??

Post by Tracy »

Not my own dd but several friends rate Townley over DGGS.
I prefer BGS!
Yummy Mummy

Post by Yummy Mummy »

Hi Muggle

My DD started DGGS in September and has settled really well, working hard, making lots of new friends and we couldn't be happier with the school. :D
Pemble

Post by Pemble »

Hi

My daughter started at Townley in September. She has settled in fantastically well and made new friends. She is also coping well with both her schoolwork and homework. We are very happy with the school.
tonaluko

Post by tonaluko »

My DD started in Townley in September too and she's well settled and making friends. We are quite happy. However, 2nd DD wants Dartford. We live in Eltham
(OOB), but she's so much in love with Dartford, that I think I'll let her have her way. On the day of the Kent test, she said ''I love this school and wants to come''. I responded by saying you know what to do! We still have Newsteadwood to do though. Just for doing sake though, as her mind is set on Dartford. Will have to show various comments from the form.
greenwichmum

Post by greenwichmum »

Hi, I don't know about Dartford but have a daughter at Townley; year 8, she has loved it there from the begginning. The strengths for her are that they made a great affort when settling them in, a lot of support around finding their way around the school. lockers near their form in year 7. These things may seem small but made a big difference to her. They also had sixth form mentors in their form room every day to help them in year 7.

There are a fantastic range of after school activities, the library facilities and IT are great, she can go in the library to do homework before and after school with support from the staff in the library if needed.

They teach in their form for the first year so the classes really bond and this year they have streamed them for Maths and English. She loves, the Drama, Dance and Music also.

It depends what your DD's strengths are and also what the distances are to each school, that is an important consideration. We were only choosing between the Bexley grammar schools but have never regretted choosing Townley.

Good luck with your decision.
dogmum

Post by dogmum »

My first post - we too are dithering between Dartford and Townley. DD wants to study Latin, at least for a while,also we wondered about Townley's A- level results - statistically they're good, but I can't find a reference to what subjects they're in. Can anyone help? eg is there any emphasis on "hard" subjects (science, languages, geog/history) over "soft"? (for me, media studies comes to mind..)
Floridafan

Post by Floridafan »

We were very impressed with both.......we are very fortunate to have a top 180 pass for Bexley and live within a mile of DGSG.....

In the end we went wth Dartford......short walk to school, and hey only have 150 girls per intake rather than 210 at Townley...

Having said that , I would have been perfectly happy for DD to go to TGS.

Also really impressed with the non selectives......especially St Catherines and Haberdashers.......
tonaluko

Post by tonaluko »

We are in similar position now. Just that we are OOB, good chances though in Dartford (419) & top 180 in bexley - has another daughter in Yr 7 at Townley, but DD2 wants Dartford from day one.
gibbonmum

Post by gibbonmum »

I am new to this forum. I am having sleepless nights about whether to go for DGGS or Townley. Although we are in the Bexley Borough, DD achieved 420 in the Kent test so think she has a fantastic chance of getting in to DGGS. I just don't know what to do for the best. She liked both. Advice please before I hit the bottle!!