Guy Fawkes and the 5th November

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

um

Guy Fawkes and the 5th November

Post by um »

Birmingham have decided not to hold their annual bonfire for the first time this year, but will still be having fireworks.

It got me thinking - now that significant numbers of us are wearing Guy Fawkes masks - will we still be burning effigies of Guy Fawkes on 5th November?
hermanmunster

Re: Guy Fawkes and the 5th November

Post by hermanmunster »

:lol: :lol: :lol: must be too stuck up in the Dales - hadn't realised that anyone was wearing such masks..... Not sure what they have to do with Guy Fawkes .. will still go on the top of the bonfire I hope...

Is that the Bonfire in Small Health Park by any chance ???
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

No herman, it's not just you from up North that was confused, I had no idea such masks were becoming popular. Nor have I any idea why anyone would cancel a bonfire because of it, surely that's just nonsense.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I don't know what Um is talking about either.We're still on witches outfits in Kent...old hat, I know.

Perhaps it's a health and safety issue...who knows.It will probably be back to normal next year.Our school fireworks is booked for end of October , during Half term ..so no one can make it and I'm having to avoid eye contact all week as I don't want to wear a yellow high visability vest all evening handing out sparklers.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Now scarlett you know you can't be handing out sparklers to primary school age children, that's just plain dangerous :roll:

Is the masks problem something to do with the riots in the summer, do you think ?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Maybe, but I don't understand what's that got to do with having a bonfire...they're still having fireworks. Where's Um to explain herself.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I thought I was just a bit befuddled after the hen night, but I haven't seen Guy Fawkes masks either.
scary mum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Image I may be off track here but I think Um is talking about these masks popularised in the film V for Vendetta.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15359735" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Looks like my husband. :shock:
lara228

Post by lara228 »

I love the fact that the people protesting against the state of the world economy and against globalisation wear these masks - and add to the coffers of Warner Bros who licence the mask!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now