Trivial topic - but would welcome advice

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chelmsford mum

Trivial topic - but would welcome advice

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I have recently gone down 3 dress sizes and last year hit 40 :( I have had to buy new clothes but find myself wondering what is age appropriate ? For example - have purchased a pair of skinny jeans which I would wear with boots, a casual top and long cardi. However despite the fact they fit well - find myself asking ..."Am I too old to wear them?"
Would hate to be the proverbial mutton dressed as lamb. :oops: Have asked teenage daughters who seem to think it is acceptable but perhaps they are being kind.Not ready for twinset and pearls yet though :?
Any thoughts anyone?
scarlett

Re: Trivial topic - but would welcome advice

Post by scarlett »

That sounds really nice ! and well done for your great weight loss ....I expect you look gorgeous ! I'm in my late 30s and wear skinny jeans with boots as do many people I know and I think it's age appropriate ( unless we're talking teaming it with a cropped top ! ) I buy lots of my clothes in the sale at The White Stuff ..and that's the sort of thing they sell ..have a look at their outfits .I always wonder when I hit the Granny Stage where does one purchase those floral one size fits all dresses from ?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks Scarlett.there is something about hitting 40 that makes one doubt oneself! I just remember all the criticism there was recently around Carol Vorderman wearing jeans and boots.(although some praise too) I just think perhaps I should be playing safe.I nearly bought a denim jacket a month ago and decided I probably was too old for that.
Other half will just always say I look lovely in everything - without looking up from the cricket! :roll:

I can't imagine an old lady in a denim jacket but the change doesn't happen over night so maybe I should start sourcing those floral dresses.... :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Congratulations on dropping three dress sizes!

Your outfit sounds lovely, and remember, 40 is the new 30. I think as long as the style fits your body shape (pear, apple etc), then go with it. I still refer to a Trinny and Suzanne book for dress hints for my body shape.

Enjoy your new figure!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

pheasantchick wrote: remember, 40 is the new 30.
I hope this is really so :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Me too ! Thanks PC !! :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

That sounds absolutely fine. I am a bit older than you, but if I went down 3 dress sizes I would wear the same (not that fat, but do have trouble fitting jeans inside boots :oops: )

If you have the figure for it, go for it :D
scary mum
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks, you are all being very nice.
I do wonder though when I will know for sure some things just aren't seemly on a 40+ woman. There does sometimes seem to be a huge chasm between young trendy clothes and frumpy clothes and hard to find the in between.I used to like per una and now I think they are looking a bit frumpy - or maybe that's just me.(or this season) However can't exactly shop at Top shop anymore :?
marigold

Post by marigold »

I have a very glamorous friend, mid 50's , not particularly slim and she often wears a little denim jacket over a long floaty top, skinny jeans and boots. She looks lovely and not at all muttony. I have pinched her style a bit, hope she hasn't noticed !
My sister in law, well past 40, wears lots of White Stuff like Scarlett and I think she looks lovely too. Just the right side of trendy. They do have good sales.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

It's quite sad when you come to that realisation you just can't wear certain clothes anymore. I loved those one shoulder floral playsuits that were knocking about in the summer , and would definitely had worn them a few years ago... but although I did um and ah for the beach I did decide that I would have to leave all that sort of thing behind me. I now know what my mother meant when she announced she was too old to wear pink.Sort of.

Just spotted you , Chelmsford mum with the fashion police checking you are wearing age appropriate clothing !

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now