How well can you measure your child's performance?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jetster

How well can you measure your child's performance?

Post by Jetster »

Hi, my son has recently passed the 11+ and got a standardised score of 231. The required score to pass is 220 and the maximum you can get is 282.

So how do I measure how well my son did? One of my friends said in her letter (in which she was informed her son hadn't passed), it stated that 213 and below meant that they were significantly below the required standard. So can I assume then that 227 and above would be significantly above the required standard? Even though you could score a whole lot more than that.

When I spoke to the school admissions they looked at ds's score and actually said he'd done really well and got a great score, which I completely agree with - but he was still 51 points away from the highest mark.

What are your thoughts?
hermanmunster

Re: How well can you measure your child's performance?

Post by hermanmunster »

Don't look at it!!! He has passed well and that is all that matters .... they are in exam conditions and limited time doing reasoning tests... going to be very different at school studying different subjects.

I never sent off for my kids scores - reckoned a pass was enough and I would fret if it was low and expect too much if it was high. Some kids have marginal fails, appeal and do fantastically well - some don't match up to what the score said.
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

Thank you! You have the voice of reason :). The letter actually states the score, not sure if I would've asked, for the reasons you state.

We are really really pleased with his score, have no doubt about that - and are so very proud of him :D .
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed - sometimes you don't want to know the score!!... but in some LEAs they don't give you the choice!!! :wink: Are you in catchment etc?? which school is it?
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

Yes, we are in catchment and have been told that DS is part of their priority group - so will be in the first group to be allocated spaces. Hopefully this means he'll get a place, although they can't confirm this :).

We're going for Carre's in Sleaford.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

That's great ! Keep fingers crossed for March 1st! (though you can uncross them sometimes - very difficult hnfjhwu8*&% ghgq typing with them crossed!!)
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

I shall routinely uncross them for typing purposes only :lol: - thank you!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I agree. To understand "how well he did" from that score you would need to know the centile this placed him in on the normal distribution curve i.e. what percentage of children did better than him - so for example if 20% of children do better than him he is in the top 20% of the population.

I don't know whether you would be able to get his info from anyone, nor how useful it would be. In our area you need to be in the top 25% of the population to pass, so if you got a pass score of some sort you would know that your child was in at least the top 25% of the population.

Some areas or schools require better than this. But how meaningful this really is, is anyone's guess. The same children can get such different 11+ results in different tests - none of them are a perfect measure of ability, so as Hermanmunster says, your son passed, well done, it's of no relevance now what the score was.
Jetster

Post by Jetster »

Thanks for your reply. I think if I knew he was classed as significantly over the required pass mark then hopefully my mind would be put at rest and I would be confident with our decision to send him to the Grammar school.

I need to stop thinking about it now though, like you say - he's passed and that is great! Here's to 1 Mar and knowing that he has a place :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

From your last post , I'm thinking you are wondering if he is grammar material rather then just scraping in as a fluke ? I was in the same position last year, was told my son wouldn't pass, he scored highly but it was still in the back of my mind that perhaps it was just tutoring and he would struggle....if he had scraped in ,I might have sent him to the church school instead. I have had no worries on that score ...there is practically another year for your son to continue to go from strength to strength and the confidence which comes from knowing he has scored well will help too. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now