11+ late start !!

Useful tips and ideas for the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sarah29

11+ late start !!

Post by sarah29 »

Can anybody give me some advice please ? :? ...my childs school has only just recommended that my child sits the 11+.... we only have a few weeks..where shall i start??? The school doesn't offer any help or support for children entering the 11+..so any advice is appreciated !!
Thingsbehindthesun

Re: 11+ late start !!

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think reading this might help:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... e-starters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you know what levels your child is working at for maths and english?
:D
;D
sarah29

Post by sarah29 »

thank you i will take a look.
my child is working between levels 5 and sometime 6 in both subjects.
curiousdad

Post by curiousdad »

Read the link provided

its very useful

mainly DO NOT PANIC

i am sure your child will do well
sarah29

Post by sarah29 »

thank u ! does anybody recommend a tutor to help..or just let him carry on with the practise papers, therefore less pressure on him ??
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

hi sarah29 why did you not know they did the elevenplus and why did the school left it late telling you ? i can understand if you just moved but a few weeks does seem to be quiet a lot for your child to get the hand of this as vr or any reasoning takes alot of practice. you mentioned he is getting 5-6 in his levels so maybe he will do well good luck anyway.
sarah29

Post by sarah29 »

Hi there,I did know they do an eleven plus,when I was at school everyone sat the test. but I know that changed and did not know how children were put forward for it,so I never considered this as an option until it was suggested last week.the verbal reasoning practise papers he seems to find quite easy, so they are not my main concern, its the maths and english..but like some of the info I have now read suggests, that if a child needs lenghty time to study for the 11+ then chances are they won't cope with a grammer school..so if he passes fantastic,and I know he wil cope.. if not I have a couple of schools in my catchment which are rated as outstanding by ofsted :-) but any good resources availabe to download that anyone can recommend to get him used to the type of questions will be great !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The 11+ is not standard across the country

First step, find out what the test in your area entails. If it is purely Verbal reasoning, then you won;t need to wast time covering non-verbal and maths.
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

What area are you in? I got my DS through the exam with 3 months' prep. I am in Essex where Maths, English and VR are tested. If you are in Essex, the best thing you can do is contact the CSSE and get hold of a past paper. You might want to ask for advice in the section of the forum relevant to your area.

Good luck!
sarah29

Post by sarah29 »

Hi I'm from essex, I have some GL practise papers arrive this morning, fingers crossed !!