reality of Wilsons and WCGS offers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
happylady

reality of Wilsons and WCGS offers

Post by happylady »

Hi everyone! I've been browsing this site for a long time but have only just registered. Thanks so much for all the informative posts and advice which has really helped us along the way.

My DS has passed both the Wilson's and Wallington exam, and he will take Tiffin in a few weeks. :shock:

I'd love to have a bit more insight from 'senior' parents - how many people who pass do not in fact get offered a place? There must be a core of bright kids who are offered a place at each of the Sutton Grammars, but some must be unlucky in the end. Does anybody know what that figure is? We have no idea how well he passed and if he really has any chance of a place. I find the system really confusing. Having been elated that he passed, we now face the reality that this doesn't mean he's in ....

Thanks in advance for any insight/words of wisdom.

happylady
rejim2

Re: reality of Wilsons and WCGS offers

Post by rejim2 »

Yes, I would be glad too if anyone can shed a light on this query. :)
menagerie

Re: reality of Wilsons and WCGS offers

Post by menagerie »

This is hearsay locally but I've been told it's pretty much the same children who sit for and pass Wall/Wil/Sutton, then a slightly different mix for Tiffin. So there aren't really 1800 children competing for 160 places, but about 800 - 1000 (who pass) competing for about 500 places. As children accept their first choice school offer, ones who passed, but are lower down, move up the list. Not quite such a scary stat.

Edited to say Congratulations. My son loved Wilson's, as did my husband (i've not seen it yet) and I loved Wallington. So warm and enthusiastic. Of all the schools we've seen, I liked the Wally boys best. Both excellent schools. Do you have a preference?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now