Questions for Trafford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Chrisps

Questions for Trafford

Post by Chrisps »

I've had letters published in last week's Messenger and Advertiser (not yet on the websites) asking questions about the evidence base, selection methods and operation of 11+ exams in our borough. Agree or not with my questions, let the papers know your experiences and views.

Chris
Elphaba

Re: Questions for Trafford

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

1. Does the selective system lead to better overall educational outcomes for Trafford compared to LEAs with a similar socio-economic population without selective systems?

2. Are the 11+ exams good predictors of future educational achievement and are they genuinely meritocratic - or do the children of parents able to afford private tuition out do the rest?

3. Are the entrance exams effectively run, or could the same result be achieved with less stress and unpleasantness for our 10 year olds?

I'm also interested in who is in charge of education in the borough. I suspect no-one, which makes changes and improvements difficult to achieve.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Chrisps wrote:1. Does the selective system lead to better overall educational outcomes for Trafford compared to LEAs with a similar socio-economic population without selective systems?
There are lists available of LEA and various outcomes - I suppose what you would have to do is decide what outcome you are looking for ... GCSE / University places / ability to manage a tax return / value added / A levels etc etc and then decide what socio-economic determinant you will use to compare. There are plenty to chose from. - commonest are : FSM / unemployment / lone parents / single pensioner households / households with no working adult / households with no car / level of education of head of household etc etc
I'm also interested in who is in charge of education in the borough. I suspect no-one, which makes changes and improvements difficult to achieve
Presumably they have a director of education? Councillors?

ETA: here is a list of LEAs by some education variable (right hand side of the page - rest is Yorkshire stuff)
http://www2.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/league ... %20NEW.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frosties

Post by frosties »

Margaret Woodhouse is the Director of Education and Early Years Services in Trafford , and as well as OFSTED Trafford Education Dept do their own inspections of schools.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The LEA are required to consult on the admission arrangements every three years (until recently it was every year). The next consultation begins in November http://www.trafford.gov.uk/educationand ... ments2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each LEA also has an admissions forum who consider the effectiveness of admissions arrangements. http://www.trafford.gov.uk/educationand ... ionsforum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

In relation to selective testing - you may be interested in the following where VR test validity in Buckinghamshire was considered by the school adjudicator http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=17007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full adjudication can be found in the link - scroll down to Buckinghamshire, October 2010 http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... &order=lea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

A Trafford councillor has provided some useful data for my first question. Using the 5 GCSE A*-C measure, Trafford has 5th best in country (71.2%).

Trafford's grammar schools v national average for grammar schools: 98.2% v 98.6%

Trafford's high schools v national average for high (ie non-grammar schools in selective systems): 51.2% v 50.4%.

National average for comprehensives: 57.4%

On the face of it, for this measure of educational outcomes, Trafford's schools perform well.

Any thoughts?
ican'tbelieveit

Post by ican'tbelieveit »

Hi Chris
I saw your letter in the Messenger, so I find the reply from the councillor quite interesting, albeit a little confusing. I have never seen league table data disaggregated in this way; did the councillor have access to a 'special' source. It appears that Trafford's grammars perform slightly below the national average and our secondary moderns slightly above the average. Although I am no statistician, I struggle to see how these figures would equate to the 5th best LEA nationally for the 5 GCSE A*-C measure. I am confused! :?