Confused at choice order and selection Medway/ Maidstone

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Opalmoon

Confused at choice order and selection Medway/ Maidstone

Post by Opalmoon »

Hello,
I apologise if this is in the wrong section, but as it refers to schools in 2 boroughs I wasn't sure where to post!

Also, can I say I'm so glad to have stumbled upon the forum, I've been reading for a little while now and I'm amazed at how much I have learnt from you all. So thank you. I've got to the point now where a decision is looming, so if anyone can offer me any advice it would be much appreciated, as I'm tearing my hair out [somehow I feel I'm not alone on that one! :? ]

This is our situation [and I'm sorry if it's long winded], DC sat Kent and Medway, narrowly failed Medway, but passed Kent. The frustrating thing is, part of our village is run by Maidstone and most of it Medway - we are in the Medway bit, so this has given us a major headache over choosing a school. Unfortunately the pass mark wasn't a biggy [not sure if I'm allowed to post score?], so it makes it harder!
I was wondering if anyone could advise on the likelihood of an out of borough child getting into a Maidstone GS, especially if it's not a top score? We viewed a mixed academy that DS really liked, bonus is it has a Grammar stream, so if he's good enough he can get into that [if he gets in the school that is!].

I'm worried about listing out of borough GS's first if it is a totally unrealistic option, as this might affect our chances of getting him in the 'in borough' Academy?

If anyone has any thoughts, I would love to hear them. Thank you in advance.
sherry_d

Re: Confused at choice order and selection Medway/ Maidstone

Post by sherry_d »

Is this for a DS or DD?

If you have a girl I am pretty sure they will get in. Maidstone grammars aren't overly subscribed. MGGS has been more popular with Invicta having a few more spaces. There is someone from Medway whose DD even got into MGGS this year.

For boys I think if his score is low then that takes off MGS from the equation and you are left with Oakwood. Depending on how far you are Oakwood is a possibility and remember you can also put your son on the waiting list and appeal if he doesn't get in.

If you want the grammar school then put them first and second and then your high school of choice third. It really wont affect where you are on you high school list. if you don't get the grammars then you'll be offered the high school of your choice provided you meet the criteria. I would say go with the exact choices of how you want the schools but do put the high school somewhere along the form as backup. If I remember Medway has 6 CAF choices so that gives you room to put a few more schools.
Impossible is Nothing.
Opalmoon

Re: Confused at choice order and selection Medway/ Maidstone

Post by Opalmoon »

Thank you so much for your reply Sherry,

It's for DS. His overall score was mid 370's [can I put that?], but I haven't been given individual scores for the tests by his school, so I'm a bit unsure over how well he has performed and how he'd cope! He performed well enough in the Maths and VR for Medway, but it was his English that let him down. I have been looking at oversubscription criteria and have convinced myself he is bottom of the pile at getting into a Maidstone Grammar. Thank you so much for your feedback, I know there are no guarantees, but it has definitely helped make it a more realistic option. Google shows us about 8.5 miles from Oakwood via the roads, I think it is a bit shorter by foot. We had pretty much decided High School first, then Grammar, but I'll probably change the order now after a chat with the OH. You've made me feel a lot more positive about the whole situation.

Sometimes I wish he hadn't done both tests, but we are often considering moving elsewhere in Kent, so not to have attempted Kent would have meant he stood no chance of a place. I never realised there were two seperate tests/ councils when we moved here!
Thanks again. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now