Teenager winter coats

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Teenager winter coats

Post by pheasantchick »

My DS needs a new winter coat but I 'm not sure what to get. Do I get a larger coat that fits over a school blazer, but will be big over normal clothes? Do young teens wear coats at school? You advice woud be appreciated. Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Teenager winter coats

Post by hermanmunster »

Sorry ?? DS needing winter coat??? Temperature is not below -20c is it??? :lol: :lol:

sorry am always amused that the lads seem to be just in blazer and shirt all year :roll: ...... maybe the occasional thin jumper .. whereas the girls are well wrapped up!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sixthformers seem to be into coats - we found one DC approved of in BHS ...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:Sixthformers seem to be into coats - we found one DC approved of in BHS ...
true - seem to be cooling down by then. Been in BHS and M&S today - good selection of coast - M&S had one with removable fleece - could be taken out when work over blazer and left in for normal clothes. 20% off until monday (oops not advertising...)
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

sorry am always amused that the lads seem to be just in blazer and shirt all year ...... maybe the occasional thin jumper .. whereas the girls are well wrapped up!
So true!

DD very sensibly wrapped up on way to school, DS says his blazer is a "warm one" :roll: I don't like to think of him getting wet and sitting in a damp blazer all day but I'm sure if I bought him a coat and made him wear it he would take it off the minute he was round the corner!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Neither of my older ones will wear coats to school on the winter - they don't spend much time outside on the way to or from school and they would only lose them anyway. They do have coats for weekends/snow etc. DS likes skateboard style ski jackets.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My DS is refusing to wear a coat now as well, even though he moans like mad when the front door is opened and an icy gust blows in. I have bought him a really nice belstaff type coat from TKMaxx ( the one near us, PC...last week too ) but although he wears it out of school so far he hasn't wanted to wear it during the week....still one less thing to repeat over and over to him that he has to make sure he still has when he gets off the bus !
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My 13 year old does not feel the cold at all. He has an oversized Superdry coat we bought him last year, which hasn't surfaced this year. He would however go out in shorts and Tshirts in the snow - we don't know whether he has a problem or whether this is normal, but hey ho, he hasn't been admitted to hospital yet . :D

I would have a coat that can fit - ideally buy one that is 2/3 sizes too big - if he's cold he'll wear it, if not he'll be fine, and it will last a while :wink:
katel

Post by katel »

Don't waste your money. Unless you take him shopping with you and he really really likes a coat then there is no chance at all tht he will wear it.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

My 13 year old has a 2 part (outdoor shop) style coat in a size too big that he wears over his blazer - with or without fleece depending on temp but he does spend a lot of time walking and at bus stops and dislikes getting wet! As he also does a lot of hiking around with scouts in all weather we find the extra size useful then too as he can fit plenty of layers underneath.(He also has a bomber jacket that fits properly for w/e's)

I guess it depends really on how your DS gets to school and how much he feels the cold!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now