Appeal evidence needed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jessy

Appeal evidence needed

Post by jessy »

I am hoping Etienne may be able to advise about this. I am appealing for a place at a Voluntary Aided grammar school, where not many appeals succeed. My daughter's primary school called a meeting to tell parents how to fill in LEA school preference forms, and told us all schools selected children on distance of home from the school, and we should put a local school first on the list or our children would be sent out of area. If we didn't do this, when we handed the forms in at school they told us to change the order. Also they don't like grammar schools and try to stop parents applying. I feel terrible now because my daughter scored a lot higher than the cut-off mark for the grammar school we wanted, but we were offered a school we didn't want because the school told us to put it first. Also the grammar school doesn't take distance into account, just the 11+ score. I can appeal but the deputy head won't write a letter to say she gave this advice, although she is still saying it is right. I know now that what she advised was incorrect but it is too late. This means I've got no evidence for my appeal. I've written all this on the appeal form, but I've been told that if she would put it in writing it would mean we were much more likely to win. We don't have to prove suitability for grammar school because my daughter scored so highly. Do you think there is anything we can do now?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Jessy,

This is so sad - as a teacher I just can't understand this attitude! Can you go to the Head?

It is likely your school may have a known 'reputuation' for not being supportive of 11+ - I certainly know which local Primaries are like this! I would just write down what was said and the facts - and say the school won't support.

No doubt Etienne will give her view from the 'panel member's eye view'.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Jessy,

There was a lady here on the Wirral her name is Lily, she was in the same position as you and she appealed successfully. Maybe you could drop her a pm.

Is the school over subscribed or under?

I really feel for your situation but please don't give up just yet there are a lot of people on this site to support you in your appeal.

AM
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

Very sorry to hear that. That is very disgusting behavior by the primary school and definately should do everything you can...would be benefical to still collect academic evidence to show that if your daughter attended the local comp, it would be detrimental to her education and development.
In addition, did the primary school give you any information/leaflets on how to fill in LEA school preference forms, that would really help your case. Or try and record a conversation with the headteacher as evidence, works a treat.
jessy

Post by jessy »

Thank you all for your support. Unfortunately the head is even more anti-grammars than she is, so not much point asking him for any help. We did get a booklet, but they were quite insistent in telling parents what school to apply for. I know we should have just stood up to them and put schools in the order we wanted them, or I have found out we could have phoned the LEA afterwards to change the order. The grammar school is oversubscribed, and is full up now so the only chance is appeal.
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

You can do this,

Wait for Etienne to respond she will point you in the right direction.

AM
jessy

Post by jessy »

Maybe I should go and see the head after all and record him in an anti-grammar school rant. That would be good evidence wouldn't it. :idea:
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

No please wait for Etienne,

I think that’s called "illegal" you don't want to gain a place for your child and a prison term for you.

It’s a nice thought though. :lol:

AM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry to hear about this, Jessie. It's a tricky situation. The panel might believe you, but it's always best to have some evidence. It doesn't help when the appeal is to a VA school.

I suggest you write formally to the Deputy Head, making the following points:
  • Remind her what was said at the parents meeting on such-and-such date.

Point out that you have taken advice, and there is no doubt that a letter from her will assist your appeal.

Express concern that she has not so far provided any evidence, and remind her that all the other parents witnessed what was said at the meeting.

Ask her please to reconsider, and to let you have a letter confirming the advice she gave.
Be polite but firm. Send your letter to the school by recorded delivery, keeping a copy.

I hope she will respond, but, if not, you can show the Appeal Panel a copy of your letter and the recorded delivery receipt.

You could also consider sending a complaint to the chair of governors, c/o the school, (again keeping a copy to show the Appeal Panel). But give her a chance to respond first.

Regards
Etienne
jessy

Post by jessy »

Etienne, thank you so much, that is much better than anything I would have thought of. I tried calling the LEA the other day to ask for advice, but they said they would advise the school how to give better advice to parents next year but there was nothing they could do for me now. I will do what you suggest and let you know how I get on in case anyone else is in this situation. :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now