Pass mark for Tiffins boys school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hasmum

Pass mark for Tiffins boys school

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
I have been trying to find out the pass mark for Tiffins, I read on the forum it is 280, is this correct (will be grateful if can explain where this is derived from) and sorry for asking a silly question but I am assuming this is the standardised score for 2 papers, so what do they need to achieve
1- on both papers ? do they have to pass both, or are the marks added?
2- is there a cut off mark?
3-Do they offer in rank order?

Will be grateful for reply.
2outof3

Re: Pass mark for Tiffins boys school

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi hasmum,

There is no "passmark" for Tiffin schools - unlike the Sutton grammars. They simply offer places based on your rank score.

The highest standardised score is 280 - 140 for each of the VR and NVR test - but you don't have to get a particular mark to be seen as "of selective ability". The school will offer places to the top 140 boys based on their score (120 girls).

The lowest mark offered for entry on initial allocation is generally around the same score each year - give or take a couple of marks. So for girls it usually ranges from 233-237 with the boys about 8 marks or so lower. There are lots of threads on here to see how low the offer score has gone via the waiting list. Presumably if Tiffins ever adopts the practice of scheduling the test before the CAF has to be in , they too will introduce a passmark so you will know if your child has "passed" the test - i.e. reached the required standard to be seen as selective, but you still won't know if they have been offered a place until 01 March.

Hope that's clear :D
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Thanks 2outof3 for your detailed reply.
questions

Post by questions »

Hi, I know there are a couple of threads on here already asking about it and I've looked at the info on the GL website also but I'm still finding it a bit confusing... so if someone wouldn't mind explaining a bit more, I'm sure it would be useful to many other parents prepping their DS for Tiffin (next week!) and we'd all be very grateful!

So - the max score is 180 on each of the two tests and these are standardised to even the playing field for older and younger.

But how does this equate to the 80 questions on the paper? I know the standardisation changes each year depending on how students have done in that sitting, but what does it mean roughly?

If you have the youngest DS and they get 100% of the questions right, they get a score of 180 and everyone younger or who gets a question or two wrong has less? Each question ends up being worth about 2 marks? Am I on the right track here?

I feel a bit dim for asking q's on yet another Tiffin thread, perhaps time for a clear up on the boards of some duplicates to make it all smoother...
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

questions wrote:Hi, I know there are a couple of threads on here already asking about it and I've looked at the info on the GL website also but I'm still finding it a bit confusing... so if someone wouldn't mind explaining a bit more, I'm sure it would be useful to many other parents prepping their DS for Tiffin (next week!) and we'd all be very grateful!

So - the max score is 180 on each of the two tests and these are standardised to even the playing field for older and younger.

But how does this equate to the 80 questions on the paper? I know the standardisation changes each year depending on how students have done in that sitting, but what does it mean roughly?

If you have the youngest DS and they get 100% of the questions right, they get a score of 180 and everyone younger or who gets a question or two wrong has less? Each question ends up being worth about 2 marks? Am I on the right track here?

I feel a bit dim for asking q's on yet another Tiffin thread, perhaps time for a clear up on the boards of some duplicates to make it all smoother...
This might be helpful but other then that I'm not entirely sure about the ins and outs of standardised scores ,but your childs date of birth is taken into consideration when they sit the test. :oops: :

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;D
hasmum

Post by hasmum »

Hi,
I dont know too much about Tiffins past scores etc. just looked briefly, we are also taking the test next week for ds.
Going by the raw score and standardised scores from the info on this forum and the post from 2outof 3 it looks like dc need average 83-87% on each paper/score for both papers to be considered/successful. Both scores I believe will be added and this to me looks like what they need as a minimum. Other members may correct this, not expert on standardised scores.

I put Tiffins down at the last moment, as was concerned re the distance to travel, so haven't done to much research on the scores, have been focusing on Bucks/Slough.
Last edited by hasmum on Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
questions

Post by questions »

Thanks hasmum and thingsbehindthesun, maybe its not such a dim question and everyone doesn't know the details after all! Thank you for replying