Y5 CAT test results.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Y5 CAT test results.

Post by stroudydad »

Hi all. I wonder if anyone can tell me, am I entitled to see my dc's CAT results? The school says not.
bromley mum

Re: Y5 CAT test results.

Post by bromley mum »

I saw my DC's results!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ours are always provided to us. I would have thought you have a right to see any of your child's work, but I don't know.
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh how silly of them. Yes they can say no, but then you can request the school file under the Data Protection Act and everything should be on there including results of the CAT.

Who have you asked so far?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm not entirely sure whether it forms part of the school record, or whether it counts simply as personal information for which a 'subject access request' can be made - but in either event I would have thought you have a right to this information under the Data Protection Act. The differences are explained here:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations ... gland.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the school could charge if they wanted to (probably £1-£10, depending on how the information is categorised), but one would hope the school might concede before it gets to that point.

Sally-Anne discusses school records here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(scroll down to 'school records')

On the other hand, if it's a 'subject access request', you could use the following:
Dear ..........

Subject access request (Data Protection Act 1998)

Child’s name: ………………..

I am writing to you to ask formally for a copy of my child's CAT scores. This request is being made under the Data Protection Act 1998.

Please advise if you require payment of a fee.

If you are unable to accede to this subject access request, please let me know in writing which section of the Act is being used as a reason for non-compliance.

Thank you for your kind assistance in this matter.

Yours sincerely

……………
It is best to send your request by recorded delivery or by email, and to keep a copy of the request and any other correspondence. This will be important as evidence if you need to complain that the organisation has not given you the information you think you are entitled to.

The organisation has to reply promptly, and at the most within 40 days (for a subject access request), starting from the day they receive both the fee and any details they need to identify you and the information you are requesting.

Let's hope it doesn't come to this, and that common sense prevails!
Etienne
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Thanks for the help guys. My dc1 has sat 11plus this year and we didn't succeed in getting his cat results, but dd is sitting next year so thanks again.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I was not shown dd's CAT scores last year and did not know enough to ask but was shown DS's this year at parents evening. I don't know if all parents were shown or whether teacher was particularly enthusiastic with DS as very high scores in all 3 areas.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If you had to go to a selection appeal presumably they would share them as it would form part of the appeal.
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

I wouldn't assume that. It sounds like the OP has asked for the CAT results and not been given them. The school may not release them for appeal purposes either unless the OP takes the formal route suggested by Etienne.

If you want the results OP I'd pursue the formal route sooner rather than later. I made a formal request for my children's school files. I was not given the full info even then. I could have pursued this via the Information Commissioner. This all takes time, and can cause some bad blood. However with a child as far on as year 5 I would just go ahead down all the formal routes to get the info if you really need it as otherwise the legal deadlines etc etc will not be on your side and you won't have the info when you need it.

I really cannot understand schools not releasing such info. Is your school voluntary aided? They seem to go a bit AWOL sometimes, or don't have sufficient training on the Governors to understand the law. I have had the Chair of Governors at mine snarl at me that they are not giving me any info that they do not give to other parents!!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

scary mum wrote:If you had to go to a selection appeal presumably they would share them as it would form part of the appeal.
Bucks is different, scary mum, because both the 11+ and appeals are organised centrally by the county. (As far as I know, none of the new GS academies has opted out of the county system.) Bucks specifically asks primary school heads to fill in a report for appeal purposes, and one of the sections includes "other test results".

Elsewhere the system may be more fragmented, and things may not be so straightforward.

Mystery is right. I think the problem is that schools, left to their own devices, do not always understand what their obligations are under the DPA (Data Protection Act).

Nothing to do with CATs, but the following illustrates the lack of understanding. Some years ago Looking for Help in Berks. wanted access to the clerk's notes after an unsuccessful appeal to a foundation school. The school refused. LFH then made a formal request under the DPA. The school still refused. LFH then took the matter to the Information Commissioner and won her case (as I was fairly certain she would). The problem? - It took a year to win that particular battle! :roll:
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now