Sports clubs in Herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Waiting_For_Godot

Sports clubs in Herts

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Due to the lack of sport at Purcell and my poor lad having my chubby genes, I really need to find some sports clubs/activities he can join. He loves cricket and I wonder if anyone knows of a club he can join (he'll be 11) that does not run on a Sunday. We are interested in any sport/gym activity that accepts novices except Rugby as he can't risk breaking an arm or going on stage with a black eye! :roll:
copella

Re: Sports clubs in Herts

Post by copella »

Hi my sons play for winchmore hill in Enfield and we play Potters bar cricket club which is not too bad, they have Beaten us a few times and there have been close calls. No cricket on at the moment but winter nets will begin soonish after xmas.I think you will have trouble finding a club which doesnt play on a Sunday as when the season is on both my sons play early mornings before the mens matches.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just asked DS - he goes to school in Herts - and he says he's heard that Radlett is quite good, but not sure when they play.
tense

Post by tense »

Purcell has lots of sports clubs & facilities right on its doorstep so I hope you find something to suit your DS.

Queens, the school opposite, has great sports facilities some of which are also open to the public. There is a Powerleague football centre, which has drop in sessions on a Saturday morning as well as courses and holiday clubs. There is a great new sports hall - I'm pretty sure my DS has some friends who do cricket nets there. Perhaps if you visit the area one weekend you could nip in and have a nose around? Or there might be a Queens' parent on this site around who knows more??

The Met Police Club - again practically opposite - has tennis courts, mini golf, a fitness trail & lots of sports pitches. A couple of local football teams play there. I think you might have to a vague connection to the police to be a member though (not for the football teams).

There are 'outside' cricket clubs locally including Radlett, as already mentioned, & Stanmore, which is just beyond Bushey Heath so not too far. Not too sure about when they all play though. There is also hockey at West Herts, based in Cassiobury Watford - you can just train there, no need to belong to a team (the same site is also home to Old Fullerians, the rugby club but you've already discounted that!).

Purcell is also sandwiched between two leisure centres, the council run Bushey Grove, which has a swimming pool, a gym, tennis, squash & badminton courts, and lots of classes for children like judo & trampolining. The David Lloyd has similar facilities but obviously it's a bit more plush! (& pricey!).

Is your DS interested in golf? Bushey Hall is within walking distance of Purcell & just a little further is Bushey Golf & Country Club (also home to a dance & drama school!). There are also several other golf courses in the area.

Hope you find something!
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

There are lots of cricket clubs in the area that have colts sections.

My children play for Abbots Langley Cricket Club, which is a very friendly club and always welcomes new members. Indoor nets don't start until New Year though but are on Saturdays I think. However, outdoor colts training is Sunday mornings from Easter time.

Other local teams include Bushey, Watford Town, King Langley, Langleybury. Then there are Radlett and Harpenden which are both very competitive teams so an inexperienced cricketer may find it hard to get a game with these clubs.

Also most of these clubs tend to have colts league matches on a weekday evening rather than at a weekend.

Alison
Waiting_For_Godot

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll google Queens and see if it has a link to clubs it offers and I'm probably going to just go and visit all the leisure centres and see if he can join an activity.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

what about swimming?
Waiting_For_Godot

yoyo123 wrote:what about swimming?
Swimming is a definite. He's going to join a competitive club, not because he is good but because they train three times a week and it should be safe on his fingers! He needs something else though, a team sport.
JP

Post by JP »

Bushey Amateur Swimming Club are based at Bushey Grove leisure centre just down the road. They are a small friendly club with training days on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday and Saturday sessions are at Bushey Grove, Tuesday and Thursday are at Habs (boys) and Friday at St Helen's in Northwood. My kids both swim there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now