ADVICE REQUIRED ON HOW TO HELP MY CHILD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
geek84

ADVICE REQUIRED ON HOW TO HELP MY CHILD

Post by geek84 »

Good Morning

I want to send my daughter to the local Girls High in Wolverhampton. I have bought the GL Assessments Variety Packs from WH Smiths (as advised by the school), to prepare for the entrance exams in December, As some of you may already know, there are 3 types of tests included in this pack - Maths, Non-verbal Reasoning, and Verbal Reasoning.

I can help with my daughter with the maths work (everytime she gets a question wrong), but I also get stuck on some of the verbal and non verbal questions !!

Can you please advise how I can help my daughter to understand these types of questions and get the correct answer?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
scarlett

Re: ADVICE REQUIRED ON HOW TO HELP MY CHILD

Post by scarlett »

I'm not in your area , so hopefully someone local will pop along to give you specific school advice, but I did use those papers with my DS1. I bought the Bond " How To Do " books ( for non verbal and verbal ) and have just started going through them with DS2 as I had forgotten how to do some of the coded questions .They are really helpful and go over each question type bit by bit . I found it'd best to have a good read yourself first as there's nothing worse then uming and ahhing whilst trying to teach your child and they then take the opportunity to make a bid for freedom.

On y*utube they also have lots of little videos which go over how to do the questions too.
geek84

Post by geek84 »

Thanks scarlett. What is DS1 and 2?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

:lol: not the games consoles ! Dear son 1 and 2 !!!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

not the games consoles ! Dear son 1 and 2 !!!
Just remembering when you said a DS had been dropped down the toilet, Scarlett!

Geek84 - somewhere on here there is a link to acronyms used on the website, but I can't find it at the moment, maybe one of the moderators can post it?
Also, if you search (top right) on codes, or on Patricia's name, you will find very helpful methods for codes and the three sets of numbers in brackets type. If you browse through the "verbal reasoning" section you will find useful things as well.
scary mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The type of exam now used by Wolverhampton is similar to that used in Birmingham, Walsall and Warwickshire. Go to the Birmingham section of the site here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=11

Look at the posts relating to exam format at the beginning. Also do a quick scan through for advice on specific types of questions. Don't get too hung up on answering specific types of questions in the GL/NFER papers, the question types in the W'ton test can be quite different.

Mike
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

For information about the abbreviations used on this site, go to the 'Everything Else' section in the Forum list, and there is a 'Sticky' (ie. permanent thread) called 'Forum Abbreviations'. This lists what all the abbreviations mean.

eg. OP = Original post etc
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I've moved the post to Birmingham/Wolverhampton forum.

Forum abbreviations can be found here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=13507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dibble

Post by Dibble »

mike1880 wrote:The type of exam now used by Wolverhampton is similar to that used in Birmingham, Walsall and Warwickshire. Go to the Birmingham section of the site here:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=11

Look at the posts relating to exam format at the beginning. Also do a quick scan through for advice on specific types of questions. Don't get too hung up on answering specific types of questions in the GL/NFER papers, the question types in the W'ton test can be quite different.

Mike
Not totally sure what you meant there Mike but, (for WGHS) "This year's entrance exam remains the same, 4 multiple choice papers in English, Maths, Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning. This is likely to change after this year's exam. "

So NFER-like practice for this years exam but, as you say, don't let the DC believe it'll be *exactly* like an NFER paper - they still need to think-on-their-feet.

Next year. Huge guess 'Durham CEM'?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

See, I knew it was good idea to move Wolverhampton here so more of us see it and can stop people like me peddling useless misinformation!

I thought I'd seen something that pointed to CEM but I was obviously wrong, there's nothing on their web site or admissions docs.

Mike