Recommended assessment material please

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum23*

Recommended assessment material please

Post by mum23* »

Has anyone ever used particular tests or other material to see if a child might be suited to 11+? I have heard of tutors who "assess" pupils before agreeing to tutor them but wondered what might be used. Is it just a case of working through some of the easier papers over a few sessions and seeing how it goes? I do know that a CAT score can be an indication but schools don't always give these scores out. With my own children I just bought some tests and started working through them but wondered if it would be more useful to use a test (or other recommendation) to start with. Thanks.
leanmeamum

Re: Recommended assessment material please

Post by leanmeamum »

I think tutors assess students to see what level they need to start at as each child has their own strengths & weaknesses. We also assess students to see what the workload should be based on the time left till the exams.

There is no set of papers but based on experience most tutors are able to say how much work is needed to get to the required level for the exams.

No need for a test but just work through your set of papers. Then find out which papers are used by your chosen schools & practice similar/sample papers from the school. It's good to leave few fresh papers to assess the 'real' level of your child from time to time, esp nearer to the exams so you can see which areas need extra help & concentrate on those.
Reading Mum

Re: Recommended assessment material please

Post by Reading Mum »

The Bond stress free guide for parents includes an assessment to get an idea of where to start in the Bond system - if Bond is relevant to your chosen area of course