Moray House Papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
parent11+

Moray House Papers

Post by parent11+ »

Hi,

Does any one know where I can obtain Moray House practice papers ?
AlisonR

Re: Moray House Papers

Post by AlisonR »

I don't believe they are available to the general public. Quoting from the Herts SW Consortium FAQ on this website:

"But there is a problem with Moray House papers: there's a limited number of them, and although the publishers supply them only to schools and local authorities, some copies have leaked."

I'm not sure which, if any, of the publically available papers are similar to the Moray House ones. Does anyone know or have any ideas about this? We just covered a wide range of papers when my DS sat the tests and will be doing the same next year with my DD.

Alison
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

The Watford Consortium and DAO both use Moray House papers but I'm not sure that you actually buy them,though some tutors may have had access to them previously.
;D
herbera

Post by herbera »

DAO use Moray House papers and advise that Athey papers are the ones that are nearest in format to practice on. The DAO papers are generally thought to be harder than Athey however. Once you have done Athey papers, move onto Bright Sparks and Walsh for best preparation. There was a scandal about Moray House papers being leaked somewhere else in another county a few years ago - thus supply is strictly controlled. Look up previous posts in the VR section of the website...
sonic1

Post by sonic1 »

Moray House papers are virtually impossible to get hold of and perhaps rightly so and they are still used in the Herts VR test.
I tried very hard last year but had no success. In the end I did give up, and focussed on preparing with the materials we did have. I think variety in papers is the key with VR. Towards the end of preparation Walsh VR books are useful.
My son sat his test last november and declared that the main problem was the volume of questions in the amount of time.
Prepare your child to quickly move on to the next question and put a big asterisk by the ones that they need to go back at the end. He also reported words he had not come across before such as mutton however in the end he left out two questions and still passed.
Don't over stress just over prepare!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello, I am assuming you are looking for Moray House papers because you are sitting DAO or the Herts Consortium. They are not for sale. I have never seen a Moray House paper but we have managed fine without them. There are 18 Athey papers to work with which should keep you going for some time and then there is IPS, GL, Letts, Walsh, Learning Together and many more. DG
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Interesting. My dd was also stumped by Mutton last year, though I am sure she has been in earshot when I have described some mini skirted playground mothers as "Mutton dressed as Lamb" ! DG
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

I never found how to get MH. :(

I read some people got them, but then I assume there's a new exam every year, so this should not make a massive difference. A good range of papers from different providers may even get you in a better standing, since there's nothing guaranteeing the school will not change the provider at any point.

Good luck for everybody sitting the exams. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now