SATs compared with Bond practice papers

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tailsmo

SATs compared with Bond practice papers

Post by Tailsmo »

My DD is working through Bond practice papers in all 4 subjects in preparation for an indie entrance test early December. She needs to achieve 50% to pass, and the school advises that the test is SATs standard.

Does anyone have any idea how SAT standard compares with Bond papers? She is regularly achieving 80% in the Bond papers, is this likely to be enough for the 50% pass mark in a test at SATs standard?

Thanks for your help!!
pist

Re: SATs compared with Bond practice papers

Post by pist »

I would suggest trying some actual past SATS papers or SATS practice papers as well - they will be in the right format, so you will get a better idea (and you will also have a clearer idea about marking/levels etc) - Bond is great general English practice though.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks pist, what a good idea!! Will try that this weekend!
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Following pist's excellent suggestion, DD did 2010 SATS papers in English and Maths last weekend. She got a 5b for English and a 4a for Maths.

This is a considerable improvement on her mock SATS last May, when she got a 4a in English and a 4c in Maths, so we're both really pleased.

Considering the entrance test pass mark (at SATS standard) is 50%, we should be well on track for a pass.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think the Bond papers for specific ages might be more challenging then SAT papers, in particular their legendary comprehension texts.Though we haven't troed them yet! My daughter sometimes need more explanation then with the optional sats papers we've looked at.

Well done Tailsmo that's really good progess! :D
;D
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks Thingsbehindthesun! I agree on Bond comprehension - v difficult!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

My son didn't sit an English paper for his 11 plus, although I did buy the Bond English books to help him with literacy ...as a lucky little bonus for him !.....and he did find them hard.However he said the sats maths paper was really easy compared to the 11 plus maths and he thought the Bond maths age 12-13 was about the same level as the level 6 maths paper he took. ( presumably that means the level 11-12 is about level 5 ?? )

Just remembered on a post I posted on the maths section about a test my son took there is a really useful link to a maths section called Pitch and Expectations which has maths questions for each year group with level 3, 4 etc.
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Thanks Scarlett, I've accessed that link and will have a lok tonight.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Hi -- I just tried to look at the year 1, year 6 and year 6/7 stuff on the Pitch and Expectations website and it wouldn't work. I know it says the site is archived but does anyone know how else I might get a copy of these pages? What I have printed out looks really useful.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I used the school portal link, FB .I think I might have found the other one didn't open.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now