Practical school bag for a Year 7 girl

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
catriona s

Practical school bag for a Year 7 girl

Post by catriona s »

My daughter is on her 4th school bag since starting year 7. She has tried the trendy 70's style sports bag, the fashionista cheapie (twice) and is now using one of my old cast offs. She needs one big enough for all her stuff (not PE Kit), that goes over one shoulder or a biggish back pack. Any ideas will be greatly received. :D
Yummiemummie

Re: Practical school bag for a Year 7 girl

Post by Yummiemummie »

I had the same problem and was recommended Wenger ruck sacks. I bought DS in Staples. It is fantastic! lots and lots of little pockets, space for a drinks bottle, and two internal spaces with dividers so that books are held in place. there are various sizes available. we went for a largish one. Another bonus is that it has specially designed straps etc to try and reduce back problems. It was expensive, but I think it will last for years. PS Wenger items carry the Swiss flag logo, I think the company also makes Swiss army knives etc.
Gosh this reads like an advert! As you can tell I'm impressed.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

We bought a backpack by JanSport (think its called the Student Bag or something) that sounds very similar to the one Yummiemummie describes - bought ours over the internet from play.com for £20. Its only a plain black one as there were no decent patterned ones except for tartan! DD walks to school and so needed something comfortable and strong enough to carry all her stuff in. It's not 'cool' to carry a rucksack but DD is not the type to go for style over comfort!
Last edited by pixiequeen on Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD had a Jansport one in year 7 (quite cheap from Costco if you have one near you), but only used it for year 7. Now she just has cheap ones from Primark (at least she doesn't want designer) which means she can change them regularly. Search on here for school bags - there have been a couple of threads in the last few months.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

pixiequeen wrote:We bought a backpack by JanSport (think its called the Student Bag or something) that sounds very similar to the one Yummiemummie describes - bought ours over the internet from play.com for £20. Its only a plain black one as there were no decent patterned ones except for tartan! DD walks to school and so needed something comfortable and strong enough to carry all her stuff in. It's not 'cool' to carry a rucksack but DD is not the type to style over comfort!
My DD also not concerned with what is 'in' and will actually try to avoid it, especially if she thinks it's impractical. She has a Roxy rucksack which is pretty trendy as rucksacks go. Got it in a sports shop. She has lugged it around full of folders etc for over a year now. It replaced a very similar one, same brand, and we only bought her another one because we needed a present for her and she never asks for anything. Much better for their backs than the silly canvas ones too!
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

We bought a white billabong bag from Argos that has two large pockets with a smaller one in the front. So far it has been able to cope with heavy loads. :D
;D
catriona s

Post by catriona s »

Thanks for all the replies. We'll be going shopping this weekend with all your suggestions in mind :)