Extended project

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fran17

Extended project

Post by Fran17 »

My son has signed up to do this. Does anyone know anything about this and if so do you think it is worthwhile?
Looking for help

Re: Extended project

Post by Looking for help »

Fran, I am really interested, but have no knowledge. I've heard some people talk of it, but none of my older three have had anything like this. Is it a subject specific thing, or a general project ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DS has started one I think about a third of his year are doing them

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/bacc/bacc-ep ... d=02&prev=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daughter

Post by daughter »

My DC has chosen not to do it.
The way I understand it is that it is a lot of work but definitely has credibility with Universities.
It along with Critical Thinking (also well regarded as an additional subject) are a possible added bonus (as long as good marks are achieved) - but if you don't do it/them no-one queries it. We were keenish for DC to do EPQ - but her lack of interest and motivation probably would have lead to a poor mark! As it is when she applies to UCAS no-one will be any the wiser either way.
Final point - the Extended project is on a particular area of research/interest ... some DC can really relate to and find a good title/topic I think others (my DC) would find this more difficult.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

LFH the students can choose for themselves which topic to study and my son has decided to do a topic that is related to the Degree he is applying for. It does seem like a lot of work and I am a little concerned that it will all be a bit too much. He seems keen and his teachers think he is capable. I hope he has done the right thing in taking on the extra work. Thank you for the link Herman.
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

My DS has just completed his EPQ. It was a lot of work. He had to complete a log and in the end I think it totalled over 130 hours. At his school he had to decide on a topic and then a supervisor was allocated. He had to attend a 4 session study skills course to help him with the essay planning e.g. information on how to reference, differences between primary/secondary sources etc He then had meeting with his supervisor to show him what he planned to do (it is almost totally student led), it was tweaked a bit and then his plan etc was signed off. My DS then spent the summer holiday (after his AS exams) researching and writing his draft essay of 5000 words. He met with his supervisor on his return to school, suggestions were incorporated and the essay submitted. He also had to give a 40 min presentation on his topic...... He will get the results in January I believe.
Was it a lot of work, was it worth it? I would say yes. My DS is not applying to Oxbridge or similar but this gave him a chance to do research (learn about this process) and study in depth a topic that interested him. All skills which will be useful at university. Marks were given for the process and not just the end result. It gave him a lot to write about on his personal statement as the topic was linked to the course he was applying for. He already has 4 offers, so it certainly didn't hard his application. It is also worth UCAS points. It is worth noting that not all university points offers will include the EPQ points if it is not in a relevant subject.
My DS chose to do the essay but the results can be submitted in other forms e.g. film, photographs etc with a shorter essay.
The link Herman connected to shows that his DC is doing it as part of the AQA bacc but EPQ is also a stand alone qualification http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA-9990-EPQ-W-SP.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I believe there is another board that offers EPQ too.
Above all though they need to be organised...... Good luck!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Indeed - I think there is more than EPQ..... manic googling this morning as flying out of the door.... Thanks for the comments from the other end of the process..... ! Am going to read later as day no more sane than it was earlier..... (full moon yesterday- I think?)
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you goinggetstough! I will read your link later too. Very useful information indeed. The only thing that worries me is that my DS has just started his and is doing two resits in January. We spoke about it last night and he knows he is going to have to be very organised.

Good luck to your DS it sounds as though he has worked very hard and deserves to do well. :D
solimum

Post by solimum »

My DD was offered one of the Open University Young Applicants modules by her school -see

http://www8.open.ac.uk/choose/yass/?sam ... 1320936008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

she chose one on medicine and molecules as it fitted well with her plan to apply for biochemistry (plus the course pack included one of those kits to build your own molecular models!). She found it interesting and it took up a fair amount of time in the summer of year 12 especially after AS but she was able to mention it in her personal statement and talk about it at interview. This might be another option, less open-ended than choosing a project completely from scratch and so perhaps less likely to get out of control!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you solimum, the thing that worries me is that my son is in Year 13 and I think there is enough work to be getting on with without adding to it. If his school had offered this after his ASs I would have been very keen on the idea but as is usual with his school they tend to leave everything until the last minute. Although he did very well in three of his ASs he unfortunately got a very low grade in his Biology, it was a big mistake to have taken that particular subject and unfortunately a teacher was off due to illness for most of the year and their teacher was forced to teach two classes at the same time. All this contributed to his low grade. I think he feels this may go against him and this is why he wants to do the extended project. If he can do it and make a good job of it I think it could be very beneficial however, if it impacts on his other studies he could regret it. He hasn't sent his UCAS form off yet, it is due to go off the beginning of next week. I will have a serious chat with him today. Many thanks for all the information everyone has posted. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now