Opinions please on A level choices...

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Opinions please on A level choices...

Post by katel »

Dd really wants to read History at University- and she wants to try for Oxford. She has narrowed her a level choices down to History, Goverrnment and Politics, English, Physics and Theatre Studies.

She is adamant that she doesn't want to do a language, and her school says that the "nothing with Studies in the title" rule doesn't apply to Theatre studies. So her current thinking is History, English, Physics and Theatre Studies. Any thoughts?
Amber

Re: Opinions please on A level choices...

Post by Amber »

Innocent and ill informed question here: why Theatre Studies as opposed to Drama, or are they the same thing? Interesting combination of subjects, and as a linguist I am bound to ask why she is adamant she won't study a language? To me that looks like the missing subject there, rather than TS, but I make no pretence of objectivity. Magwich has a DD doing History at Oxford, she would be a good person to ask.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect Theatre studies may not help for Oxford ... though not deffo sure.

Hist / Eng Lit and Phys would go down well though - however Phys with maths can be heavy going....
phaedra

Post by phaedra »

These are musings only....so much depends on the rest of her application.

Theatre will be all right but to be safe, ought to be the one she drops at A2. This will mean she has to do well at, and enjoy the other three well enough to continue them to A2. I'd say it is considered a tiny bit soft but not enough to mean she won't be made an offer if she loves it. (I don't think it especially soft though).

If she intends to carry four through then she will have a heavy-ish load: English and History have heavy essay and reading requirements. Theatre will too, although less, but will make demands on her time for the practical elements. Physics will not be demanding in terms of essays, but as it is her only Science, it is unsupported by cross-over work from other Science subjects (if you see what I mean) This is irrelevant if she finds it fairly easy and enjoys it.

Politics is a complementary choice for History students, but it won't be if she doesn't really want to do it and again, requires a lot of written work.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

My DD has just gone up to Oxford to read history at a college near the top of the norrington table - don't get me wrong - she is enjoying herself BUT she has been told by tutors that they are all supposed to sit in their room or the library reading and making notes for essays for 9 hours per day, the tutor she sees most of (1 tute each week) appears to hate all students with a passionate hatred and, to be honest, she might just as well have downloaded the reading list and sat in her bedroom at home academically speaking.
I would encourage your child to be very sure that this is the lifestyle she really wants for 3 years.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Magwich2 - this is the very reason why Oxbridge is NOT the be all and end all! I rejected a place on the grounds that this was not the University life I wanted ...

Katel - Physics without Maths is not usually recommended. What do school recommend? Look on UCAS for preferred A levels ...
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you. Her school seems quite keen on the the physics idea- I think on the grounds that it might make her stand out a bit. They do get a fair few to Oxbridge and a ludicrous level of As and A*s at A level.

9 hours work a day- wow, Oxford's changed a bit!
Jeepers

Post by Jeepers »

Hello Katel,

Hope you don't mind me adding my twopenneth worth for your DD but the physics seems to stand out a bit to me...as others have said it usually goes with maths and almost feels incomplete without it.

Is there a strong reason that she is so keen to do it, because (unless things have changed since my day) it seems a lot of work with maths to cover and practical work to do and an A or A* to get.

If she wants to demonstrate a balance of arts / analytical skills would she consider A level maths instead (or maybe as well)... can't speak for Oxford but to my mind English, History, Maths A's would look v strong on an application form for grad jobs.

Anyway, just my opinion in case it helps. Good luck to you both in your decision making.

J
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Guest55, would appreciate your advice again on the subjects that DD has chosen for A Level. Although she has submitted her application, it can still be changed. DD has decided to do maths, English lit, art, textiles and photography (this one may be done for the first year only). She is very creative and wants to go to art college in Cambridge after Sixth Form.

I realise that it is really important that she is happy with her subject choices as she is the one doing all the studying, not me! However, there seems to be a lot of differences of opinion on this forum as to the balance between choosing 'hard' and 'soft' subjects and what opportunities these can create for the future.

Of course I want my daughter to be happy but also to maximise her chances of 'opening as many doors as possible' with her subject choices.

It would be good to know your thoughts on this as, I have said before, this is all very new to me and you know what you're talking about. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now