common entrance paper

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moosh

common entrance paper

Post by moosh »

Can anyone help. DS will sit common entrance in January but is coming from a state school and I have been told that the exams are slightly different to take account of the state school curriculum. Apparently it is not the school's policy to issue any sample or past papers and so I simply dont know what to expect. Does anyone know where I can get some practice papers and what sort of levels they will expect from a state school child. Absolutely any info would be gratefully received.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =post&f=31#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:?
Yummiemummie

Re: common entrance paper

Post by Yummiemummie »

Do you mean 11 plus common entrance? If so register your child with the ISEB, there is a section on their website for parents explaining the procedure.
Past papers I bought from Galore Park. Again great website.
Main area that might be tricky is the Science exam, but the syllabus is on the ISEB website.
Do you have an offer from a secondary school based on achieving a certain % in 11 plus CE?
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Hi, I am a bit confused by your post since any Indy worth its salt will not be taking common entrance candidates until he/she is circa 13. Please give us more information about your circumstances. If you are worried about being indiscreet then make it hypothetical - or PM us. We are here to help!
SD
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I don't think the OP mentioned the age of the child, he may already be in secondary school
moved

Post by moved »

Plenty of independent schools examine at 10/11. I quite thought that Tonbridge and Eton were worth their salt! Girls' independent schools normally have entrance at age 11.

Individual school often set their own tests. The Galore Park web site is great and doing some past papers set by ISEB will be useful anyway.

For Tonbridge DS has NVR, VR, maths and English, plus three interviews!

If this is for 13+ then I would assume English, maths, French and science.
moosh

Post by moosh »

Hi all, thankyou for your responses.

DS is already in secondary school (year 8 ) and is sitting for an independant that only takes pupils from 13 (year 9). Obviously most of the prospective entrants will be from prep schools and will be taking the common entrance exam.
However at the open day I was told that DC's from the state school sector will not be expected to sit the normal CE and will sit maths, english and verbal reasoning papers. They will not take science or a language.
Unfortunately the admissions secretary is new to the post and does not really seem to be able to give much or any information on the severity of the exam or any pass mark guidance. She advised me to get some verbal reasoning papers from WH smiths. Smiths have told me they only do 11plus VR and nothing beyond this and so now I am at a loss as to what to expect or where to find sample papers.

All thoughts gratefully received.
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

is there anything on the Eton's website under admissions?
Tailsmo

Post by Tailsmo »

Bond do VR and NVR for 12+, and say these are for CE-style exams. You can get these in Smiths and other bookshops.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

Hi Sassie's Dad, I think Wycombe Abbey is worth its salt! Many girls sit the 11 plus CE.
Moosh - as I mentioned info you need is on the ISEB website and Galore Park. Good luck!
moved

Post by moved »

13+ tests are produced, but I would practice 11+ papers anyway. They should be marginally easier, but better than nothing. The tests can vary enormously.

Oundle produce some highly academic tests for their non-CE children and these were on their website.

I have also downloaded papers from: Bromsgrove, Perse, City of London, Haberdashers Aske and Kent College Pembury.