Daughter getting stuck on the Verbal Reasoning questions

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

geek84

Daughter getting stuck on the Verbal Reasoning questions

Post by geek84 »

Hi folks

I am trying to get my daughter in the Wolverhampton Girls High School next year - she is in year 6 at the moment.

I have bought the GL assessment packs (as recommended by the school) and on her 1st attempt on the paper, she got more questions wrong than right!! To make things worse, I don't know how to arrive at the answrs myself, although I do have the answer paper!

All this has made me a bit depressed - my daughter getting more than half the questions wrong & my inability to show her how to work out the correct answers.

Do you think I should give up on the idea of trying to get her a place at the Girls High or should I buy other study material to help her with the verbal reasoning questions? Most importantly, is it too late for her to try and improve her verbal reasoning - the entrance exam is next month.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
patricia

Re: Daughter getting stuck on the Verbal Reasoning questions

Post by patricia »

Dear geek84

It is perfectly possible to teach VR in a month.

You need the correct material, a Method and Technique book and lots of will power...

Is the test provider for the school you are applying for GL Assessment and in multiple choice format? If so take a look at the following thread for relevant material.

I would use Bright Sparks and GL Assessment together with the IPS Method and Technique book. Perhaps the IPS 50 question papers too, depending on your time and stamina.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =12&t=4782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please come back with any questions, there are plenty of members willing to help.

Patricia
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Dear Geek84 - definitely don't give up!!! We moved in July from a non-selective area to an out of county selective with zilch info available (thank goodness for this forum) and my DD had 5 weeks from first seeing a VR type question to sitting the test. It wasnt naturally her best - but I spent no more than a month with her (with no previous VR experience myself) on practice and technique and thankfully she passed really comfortably. Follow Patricia's tips on material etc and she is right you definitely can teach it in a month - that's all we had! Good luck and stick with it! x
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

hi stocky
you said that your ds passed the vr comfortably but what was she scoring in the mock test which the school gave just of interest?
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hi Khanj010 - unfortunately, she didn't get to do the official practice test (we were too late).
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

ok stocky then what was she getting in the papers she was doing at home. i mean the vr test 80 questions
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hiya. The week before she was getting over 90%, but even at the point she sat it there were a couple of questions types which were 'weaker'. For example 'missing 3 letter word' she could get 4 out of 7 wrong, so we just had to accept that. We were lucky that quite a lot of question types she took to straight away and got them all right, so we left those, I then did intense work on the types she was dropping marks on and eventually we were left with just a couple of weaker types. She found the real thing easier - but that could just be luck for our county. Good luck!
geek84

Post by geek84 »

Hi Folks

Is it worth buying the Bond assessment papers? Are they similar to the GL Assessment papers?

The only reason why I am hesitant in buying the Bond Assessment papers is because the school itself only recommended the GL Assessment packs.

Can you please advice what I should do?

Thanks in advance.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think they have different types in them - I know Bond aren't suitable for Buckinghamshire, but don't know about your area, although it sounds like it from what the school has said. I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon :D
scary mum
geek84

Post by geek84 »

Thanks scarymum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now