DS unwell days before Tiffin exam

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
munch

DS unwell days before Tiffin exam

Post by munch »

Hope somebody can help with this. My DS has his Tiffin exam on Wednesday and he has been unwell with temperature/tummy ache/dizzyness since Saturday morning. He was unable to go to school today. No idea what the situation will be come Wednesday. I haven't taken him to the Doctor as yet. My question is, do I just see how he is on the day and go or cancel as appropriate, do I take him to the Doc today just to get it on record that he has been unwell, or do I take him to the Doc on Wed if we end up having to cancel the exam?
I am not trying to gain any kind of advantage here should we need to appeal, rather I don't want to be disadvantaged because I didn't do things correctly. Anybody have any experiences on how best to deal with this scenario?
Many thanks.
sp

Re: DS unwell days before Tiffin exam

Post by sp »

No experience with this but you have nothing to lose by taking him to doc today. Maybe you should call the school and ask what the procedure is, I'm sure he's not the first to be ill at this time.
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks sp, the letter from the school says do not bring for test if child is ill and they will need a letter explaining the absence within a week before we get another date. So this is not really a Doc's note they are asking for. What I'm worried about is if I end up having to appeal because DS hadn't been feeling well a few days before and although able to attend on the day didn't perform to his best level etc. In that scenario should I be taking him to the doc to prove he had been ill prior to sitting the test which influenced his performance on the day?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The advice on this is pretty much the same in every 11+ area - do not let your child take the test if they are unwell. This is from the Tiffin school FAQs about the test:
What if my son is unwell on the day?If a boy is unwell, do not send him to take the test. Phone 020 8546 4638 and leave a message. Follow that with a letter to the Admissions Department, who will arrange another date.
Frankly I would both call the school, send a postal letter and copy it to the Admissions Department by email because then you have a paper trail if communication breaks down. (When you call the school you can ask if the whole thing can be done by email anyway.)

There is no value at an appeal in saying "He was a bit under par", "I thought he was better" or "He so wanted to take the test with everyone else", in fact quite the opposite. Only send him in to the test if he is completely recovered.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I'm pretty sure Tiffin do have a extra test date for sick children.Take him to the doctor and resit later.

What Sally mentioned can also be found here:

http://www.tiffin.kingston.sch.uk/uploa ... stions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
;D
munch

Post by munch »

Thanks SA and Thingsbehindthesun - I agree so will just see how things go on Wed.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi munch

I think you need to make a firm assessment of how he is on Tuesday evening. Making the decision on Wednesday morning leaves you open to the risk of him seeming to have recovered but then being unwell during the exam.

Also, beware! Children can be extraordinarily persuasive in this situation. If I had a pound for every time a parent has posted on the appeals section "He was just desperate to take the test at the same time as everyone else" or "He just wanted to get it over with" and "He begged me to let him take it that day" I would be rich by now.

S-A
munch

Post by munch »

Hi SA
Thankfully DS isn't the least bit bothered about who he takes the test with or when so none of that pressure to deal with. As you say, I will make an assessment tuesday night. 24 hours from now may make all the difference.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Munch - my feeling would be for him NOT to sit it - your son cannot be 100% fit so quickly.
If nothing else his stamina will be affected.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Hi Munch, don't you have the date already? Tiffin Girls do have the date for second sitting, and it was stated in the letter.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now