Favourites

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Belinda

Favourites

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aargh

Re: Favourites

Post by aargh »

This sounds like a bad teacher to me Belinda. In a class of 4 (4!) I find it astounding that the teacher is being so biased. It should be easy to give all equal time, praise, development etc :!:

My class is 25, so there are always going to be some who get more attention than others during any particular lesson. I try to work with different children each session to balance things out. In a group of 4 there is no excuse for favouritism. Personal feelings about a pupil must never get in the way of professional practice and proper teaching. If your DD's work is exasperating (surely not?) the teacher should be giving teaching not disfavour. That is their job for heaven's sake.

I have 3 in my class who I :evil: well they are very hard to like, but a teacher must never never show it to the pupil.
In fact I have gone so far overboard in hiding my dislike in one case, that his Mother keeps telling me how marvellous I am with her DS and how he loves working with me :? It is my duty to teach all of them regardless.

How does the bias manifest?
You may need to go and talk to yon teacher about it rather than let things fester.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

My daughter is in an A Level class of 12. She is most definitely not the favourite of the teacher, who is always discouraging. I actually decided to fight my daughter's corner at parent's evening the other night because I'm so fed up of being told that she'll never amount to much, unless she puts in far more effort. I asked why he has predicted her B on her UCAS form if it is not achievable. I said that 18 year olds need encouragement not constant negativity because they are adults now, and it is really up to them what they do at this stage in their lives.

I do think some teachers forget that 6th formers actually do have minds of their own and can't be treated like 11 year olds any more.

She's honestly not that bad, the teacher just doesn't like her, and it was nice to see him a bit nonplussed. I was very polite though, and didn't lose my rag.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How can some teachers be like that!

Sixth form teaching is my absolute favourite - they've CHOSEN to do Maths and the classes are smaller than lower down the school - what's not to like :D :D

Sorry - rant over ...
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

The teacher's behaviour is inexcusable and unprofessional. As you say Belinda, of course we have favourites in life, it is human nature to like some people more than others. However, this isn't a friendship group, it is a professional setting. The teacher should not show bias towards any of the students. It is such a shame and can be very damaging to a young person. In the main, my sons' teachers have been wonderful but on the odd occasion when they have encountered this sort of situation, I have told them to work extra hard to prove the teacher wrong and to do well in spite of them. I know this isn't always easy but worked in my eldest son's case when he had a problem with his English teacher in year 11.

I hope you manage to sort things out and please keep us posted.
Last edited by Fran17 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daughter

Post by daughter »

So sorry to hear this is happening Belinda. Unfortunately i don't have any advice and my only experience of teachers favourites "pets" has been much further down the school. Although it is not acceptable at any stage I think it is particularly unacceptable in the Sixth Form. Fortunately (touch wood) all our experience of Sixth Form teachers has been along the line of Guest55.
Sixth form teaching is my absolute favourite - they've CHOSEN to do Maths and the classes are smaller than lower down the school - what's not to like
Talking to the other parents or directly to the school/teacher seems like the best option.

Good luck.
aargh

Post by aargh »

Belinda wrote:the other less favoured student's parents have written a letter to the teacher concerning this very issue so it can’t just be my DD over-reacting. I know the other parents so I might phone them and have a chat.
Highly recommend this. You can compare notes and decide on a joint course of action to the benefit of all. Teacher may not even be aware of the effect he is having.
Do talk to the teacher about it. If left things can get worse and possibly lead to worse confrontation later on or worse - DD's results being affected :(
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now