E&A Grades - Maths Year 9

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Looking for help

E&A Grades - Maths Year 9

Post by Looking for help »

My son has recently received his E&A grades, and while they were all good, I have to say he's been stuck on level 7B for Maths for at least the whole of year 8 plus this first term of y9.
I'd have thought he should have shown some progression, but at the same time now they don't really do SATs any more is this a kind of meaningless assessment? Or is he not being stretched enough ? Or is he being a typical boy and not so interested now that he has noticed there are girls around ? Aaaargh.
Any contact with the school will have to take into account his maths teacher is leaving at the end of the week due to personal reasons, so perhaps I should just wait to see how a new teacher works with him ?

Thanks for any advice.
Looking for help

Re: E&A Grades - Maths Year 9

Guest 55 ? No ideas ? Anybody ?

Oh well....I know I'm a worrier :(
andyb

Post by andyb »

At DS1's school they get graded at the end of every topic in Maths. Since Y8 he has been getting 7A/B/C's depending on how challenging he finds the topic. This is considered normal and the teacher comments are positive - he is in the higher set and finds Maths relatively straightforward. If we were only to get a termly or half yearly grade then I am guessing DS would have averaged 7B for Y8 and this term of Y9.

HTH
Looking for help

Thank you andyb....it's just a surprise that in all the other subjects you can see a progression, but not really in Maths, which is what I thought he was best at.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Looking for Help: don't become 'Looking for Something to Worry About'. Relax.

Remember that the sub-levels A, B and C are just guidelines. The level you are looking at is 7. If used properly, the C and A are 'holding grades' - ie your child won't usually be on those for very long. The B shows that he is solidly at that level; when he moves to A you would not expect him to sit on that for as long. There is quite a difference between a solid level 7
Starting from problems or contexts that have been presented to them, pupils explore the effects of varying values and look for invariance in models and representations...
and a level 8
Pupils develop and follow alternative approaches. They compare and evaluate representations of a situation, introducing and using a range of mathematical techniques...
and some pupils might never get to level 8. It involves a lot more independence of thought and developing strategies of one's own. I am sure he is doing just fine; but if you are still worried, have a look at the APP levels for Maths (think if you put that into your search engine they will appear) which would give you in great detail exactly what is expected in each area. And if after that you are still worried, go and see the teacher. But I suggest you should not be!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Thank you Amber and Belinda, You’re both right I’m fussing too much. I’m just worried that because he’s at a comprehensive he isn’t being pushed far enough. I know that his level is good, and am happy with it, in fact I know that one of my others got a level 6 at the end of year 9, and another a low 7, and another level 8, so he’s on track and doing well. I’m just not terribly au fait with how the levels work. It’s good to see it as a solid 7.
He told me yesterday they haven’t had any tests yet so far this term, and everybody got the same level as last term anyway, and as the teacher is leaving at the end of the week, I think I will leave it for now, and see how things go. He hates me making a fuss, as he thinks I am annoying parent at the best of times, and would really hate it if I had a word, but we do have a tutor appointment at the beginning of December so I will maybe have a chat with her if I’m still worried.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi,

Yes it does sound a long time to be on level 7 but as Amber said level 8 is a big jump (roughly grade B GCSE). Year 9 work in a GS is usually level 8 stuff e.g. trigonometry.

The KS3 tests still exist - they are just optional and cost money now :lol:

http://www.kangaroomaths.com/kenny3.php ... sessKS3#lp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look at the "levelopaedia" for level 7 and 8.
Looking for help

He's not at a GS, and my worry is that he should be being given level 8 work, but isn't being given it. I don't know whether he isn't doing well enough to be given this work, or whether it is policy.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Are they set for Maths? When I taught in a comprehensive only the top group would tackle level 8, the second group might do some level 8 topics.

I would contact the Maths Subject Leader/Head of Department to check - is he bored by his classroom 'diet'?

PM me if you prefer ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now